Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this one is a longshot but can I use the BOTTOM piping (MAf to fenderwell) of a B14 sr20 cai for a B13 ga16? I could get one locally for relatively cheap (i think) but I don't know if this is such a good idea.

·
Nitrous Junkie
252 Posts
You shouldent have a problem.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Yep, you shouldn't.. I have an SR20 CAI and the MAF-to-TB pipe section is giving me the trouble..

The SR20 MAF-to-fender pipe is the same width, same everything as the GA16 one.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wildmane said:
Yep, you shouldn't.. I have an SR20 CAI and the MAF-to-TB pipe section is giving me the trouble..

The SR20 MAF-to-fender pipe is the same width, same everything as the GA16 one.
Hmmm... halfway there then I guess. My thought was doing a cheapass sort of frankenstein (it's alive!!!) cai. I figured that I'd use a cheap ebay shortram pipe as the TB to MAF and the MAF to fender(which I think would have been the hard part) I'd use the hotshot. I think this way I could switch to a WAI if it rains a whole lot.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
knock_it_off_hudson said:
Hmmm... halfway there then I guess. My thought was doing a cheapass sort of frankenstein (it's alive!!!) cai. I figured that I'd use a cheap ebay shortram pipe as the TB to MAF and the MAF to fender(which I think would have been the hard part) I'd use the hotshot. I think this way I could switch to a WAI if it rains a whole lot.
It's always best to use things that are designed for your car.

You can switch any CAI quickly ... Rain won't bother you, unless you plan on driving through 2 foot deep water.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
myoung said:
It's always best to use things that are designed for your car.

You can switch any CAI quickly ... Rain won't bother you, unless you plan on driving through 2 foot deep water.
Yeah I know. But I'm trying to be creative(i.e. I'm cheap :loser: ). I mean if the MAF to Fender tube is exactly the same as a CORRECT one then the only things i'd have to worry about is:

1. If the TB to MAF tube will fit and/or work correctly (whether I fab one or get one from ebay) in conjunction with the HS lower tube. It's such a short tube, how much difference would it make?

2. The MAF adapter. Aren't these a dime a dozen?

I know what your saying about getting stuff designed for your car but if the difference is small then I'd rather put the $125 or so that i'd save into some thing more important like the exhaust. But good advice is good advice so if this REALLY is a bad idea then i'll scrap it and bite the bullet.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
knock_it_off_hudson said:
I know what your saying about getting stuff designed for your car but if the difference is small then I'd rather put the $125 or so that i'd save into some thing more important like the exhaust. But good advice is good advice so if this REALLY is a bad idea then i'll scrap it and bite the bullet.
It's not that it's a bad idea if your end goal is to save money... But the size does make a difference. In several tests the smaller diameter upper pipe has proven to gain more power on the GA16.. if you take a look at the Hotshot CAI I'll see what I mean. , but if the best performance possible isn't really an issue then go for it..

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You mean smaller diameter in relation to your average "shortram" pipe or is it that the upper pipe is smaller than the lower pipe? So what is the size of the HS upper and lower pipe?

Edit: Oops, answered my own question with a search. Sentra.net says 3"-2.5" stepped diameter.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Wait, Mr. Young, will the SR20 maf-to-TB pipe lose power on a GA? Would it be a good idea for me to replace the SR20 maf-to-TB pipe with a GA one?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wildmane said:
Wait, Mr. Young, will the SR20 maf-to-TB pipe lose power on a GA? Would it be a good idea for me to replace the SR20 maf-to-TB pipe with a GA one?
We seem to be in the same predicament (assuming I go through with this). Where are you gonna find a 2.5 inch pipe that fits the GA TB though? I'm guessing you had problems getting the sr20 pipe to fit your ga16 TB right?

Hey chucky, how's about Mon or Tues? I work the crappiest shifts... Pm me :cheers: .

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
CAI Kits for GA16de motors come with the proper diameter tubing and couplers... I had to go to Home Depot and scavenge some couplers myself. I also had to cut them a bit to get it all to fit in good. I should've just bought some silicone ones, though.. would have been a much easier process..

I'm just wondering if a 3" maf-to-TB really will lose power on a GA16de, or simply just not gain as much as a 2.5" ...

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
wildmane said:
CAI Kits for GA16de motors come with the proper diameter tubing and couplers... I had to go to Home Depot and scavenge some couplers myself. I also had to cut them a bit to get it all to fit in good. I should've just bought some silicone ones, though.. would have been a much easier process..

I'm just wondering if a 3" maf-to-TB really will lose power on a GA16de, or simply just not gain as much as a 2.5" ...
HS tested this and the 2.5" upper pipe made more overall power than the 3"

This is why HS uses the stepped diameter.

·
F.I. Section Whore
896 Posts
Damn.. I think I need to sell my upper pipe part then..

How much HP do you think I would lose compared to the GA16 one? 1 hp?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts