Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for problems about brake lights, but my fuses are fine and my problem is a little more extensive. My car has some crazy wiring issues going on that just surfaced a day or 2 ago:

With my headlights off, I tap the brakes and the following things happen:
- my outer brake lights and LED strip come on
- all 4 of my turn signal bulbs come on (although they do not flash)
- my guage lights come on
- my 2 license plate bulbs come on

With my headlights on, I tap the brakes and the following things happen:
- my outer brake lights and LED strip come on with the headlights
- the inner brake lights (above the reverse lights, on the trunk lid itself) do nothing
- my LED strip and outer brake lights do not get any brighter, even though the bulbs have 2 filaments, implying that 1 is for "normal" sidelight activation, and another for when I tap the brakes.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
arte.et.labore said:
I searched for problems about brake lights, but my fuses are fine and my problem is a little more extensive. My car has some crazy wiring issues going on that just surfaced a day or 2 ago:

- my guage lights come on

With my headlights on, I tap the brakes and the following things happen:
- my outer brake lights and LED strip come on with the headlights
- the inner brake lights (above the reverse lights, on the trunk lid itself) do nothing
- my LED strip and outer brake lights do not get any brighter, even though the bulbs have 2 filaments, implying that 1 is for "normal" sidelight activation, and another for when I tap the brakes.
I have not had the crazy problems you are having on a Nissan, but I had a demented Audi.
I suggest you check the grounds on all the lights that you are turning on. If the tail lights turn on other lights, check their grounds, likewise for the head lamps. What I have found before if the ground is bad, the ground current circuit goes through other lamps to ground. Particuarly the lamp that appears off....

So for.....

- my gauge lights come on

Check the grounds on the brakes lights, all of them.....

You can also get a voltmeter and trace back to see where the current is going to and from.
Other than that all I can say is happy hunting.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
I would have to say one of the grounds is bad on the outer (red) tail lights. When you hit the brake, the voltage is reversing back into the blinkers since the blinkers have to the ability to act like a ground. Anyway, check the black wire on both outer tail lights and make sure it is properly grounded to the car's body. Also, check the outer brake bulbs and the bulb sockets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem was the outer right-hand tail light bulb. The 2 contacts on the base of the bulb had fused together. Replaced it and everything works fine. :D Also, it turns out that the inner brake lights are actually only reflectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts