Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '96 nissan sentra and I'm contemplating on getting some halo headlights. I already have a few mods on my car and I guess I just have some extra money laying around right now and I'm wondering if I should get the halos. Those who have halos, how do they perform with good bulbs installed? I guess I'm wanting to do this mod for the looks, not performance but do the halos atleast put out decent lighting? Is install a PITA? thanks for any opinions.

·
THINK BLUE
1,014 Posts
Did you do a search? There are lots of threads covering the subject of halos on B14's. From installation to opinions on them, it has been covered before. I read through a lot of those threads before deciding to not to buy them.....to each his own though :)

·
Banned
1,530 Posts
From my personal experience....the actual lighting, even with the hyperwhites, sucks! It takes a little too much effort and time trying to get the angle of the lights right. I am actually in the process of getting some crystal clear headlights. Probably a better option

If you want them for the looks, that's cool. Just don't drive at night. :D

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
Timbo said:
From my personal experience....the actual lighting, even with the hyperwhites, sucks! It takes a little too much effort and time trying to get the angle of the lights right. I am actually in the process of getting some crystal clear headlights. Probably a better option

If you want them for the looks, that's cool. Just don't drive at night. :D
ay! :thumbup: the problem is is that the beam is far to small. and it does not spread out far enuff. think of this. go buy a 3 D cell mag light and take out the reflector, now go find a gift wrap card board tube and cut a 1in. section off and place it over the mag light reflector, now put a bulb in there and drive around viola! you have just made a getto halo! idk about you but i like my night time to be like day time! meaning i hage stock crystal head lamps and silver star bulbs. i now have read the xtra vision are just as bright minus the hyper white color so its better in the rain. just something for you to think about. :thumbup: liuspeed has a bunch of beam patterns for the crystals but he should try to get some for the halos (tim you say you have them? if your ever infront of your garage.............and have a camera.....and your lights are on, would you mind taking a pic?lol)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree. They were a pia to install, and the lighting performance is miserable.
They do look good though, so I'll be getting silverstars & new driving lights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I guess I'll just stick with my stock headlights then. I commute at night on highways many times. I just gotta give the headlights a good cleanin' see if they can shine a bit. The lense looks a bit cloudy or foggy or something

·
I want my B14!!!!
187 Posts
Capt. Chris said:
I guess I'll just stick with my stock headlights then. I commute at night on highways many times. I just gotta give the headlights a good cleanin' see if they can shine a bit. The lense looks a bit cloudy or foggy or something
What you could do is go with a Halo Retrofit- if you don't mind spending close to $600. A few people have done it just using Xenon and while its a bit better than the stock Halo lights, its nothing compared to true retrofits.

The problem with the Halos is their pattern, its extremely short and a bit too clustered. I'd say you'd get maybe 3-4 carlengths out before your lighting kinda fades.

IMO if you like the look, definite spend the extra $$$ for a Retrofit. I've seen some pics of them and they are simply amazing in comparison.

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Capt. Chris said:
There are other options other then the halos.

I got them off liuspeedtuning.com and I think that mossy might have them as well.

same with the corners.

·
new motor & tranny
1,756 Posts
Capt. Chris said:
I've got a '96 nissan sentra and I'm contemplating on getting some halo headlights. I already have a few mods on my car and I guess I just have some extra money laying around right now and I'm wondering if I should get the halos. Those who have halos, how do they perform with good bulbs installed? I guess I'm wanting to do this mod for the looks, not performance but do the halos atleast put out decent lighting? Is install a PITA? thanks for any opinions.
halos... well .. i had them.. for about 3 days.. thats about sums it up lol
they look cool....but they dont light up the road for shit.
and try to search next time, this topic has been covered 1000s of times

And by the way..ujust like xbrandonx said there is another option, Crystal Clear headlights, i also got them for my car from liuspeed

·
USACI here I come
440 Posts
I have halos but they are very dim...I'm rather irritated with them but they do put out alot more light than the stock ones I had...they were really clouded.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
with halos if you are only doing it for cosmetic wise that perfectly fine.. for performance lighting just halos by themselves without retrofit and all that the jes plain suck. i highly recommend that if you want the performacne lighting and the cosmetic of the halos i recommend that you get the TSX HID systems from the new acuras and have someone like www.hidretro.com to retrofit it in for ya for labor cost. labor usually cost like 275 for the labor + the cost of the parts that you can find anywhere on ebaymotors.com

if you dont want to do all that then like everyone else states you can do the crystal clear headlights that uses H4 bulbs which are 2-3 times brighter than your stock 9004 and also the housing isnt cloudy it crystal clear which also benefits the output by 3 fold than the stock housing.

but in all honesty get rid of the stock housing on your sentra/200sx.. it really does more harm than good lighting wise no matter what kind of bulbs you use.

i myself will be doing a TSX retrofit with a G35 hid reflector into the halos both running stock hid bulbs phillips 4300 K bulbs.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
LIUSPEED said:
i myself will be doing a TSX retrofit with a G35 hid reflector into the halos both running stock hid bulbs phillips 4300 K bulbs.
i thought that was your plan from the begining. i read your car thread and you wanted to do the halo HID setup from the start what changed your mind? no offence but i think cosmeticly that would look FAR better than what ya have now. (that plate kinda looks weird) and will you do 4 xenon bulbs? like the projectors for low beam then just a bulb & balest for high?

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
1.6pete said:
i thought that was your plan from the begining. i read your car thread and you wanted to do the halo HID setup from the start what changed your mind? no offence but i think cosmeticly that would look FAR better than what ya have now. (that plate kinda looks weird) and will you do 4 xenon bulbs? like the projectors for low beam then just a bulb & balest for high?
yea that was the original plan but since the A6 projector doesnt fit nicely into the halo headlights for the size it to big then i decided to do the set up i have now.

i 2 believe that it will look cosmetically better and yes with 4 xenon bulbs.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts

·
Banned
408 Posts
I must have halo's!!!

Wouldnt the lighting be ok if I put some good PIAA's in the halo's and also had a pair of driving lights.

·
USACI here I come
440 Posts
what about that reflector infront of the low beam bulb? could you remove that to help the lowbeam pattern?

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
it wont do much good it jes give off a hot spot and more glare.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ga16freak said:
Wouldnt the lighting be ok if I put some good PIAA's in the halo's and also had a pair of driving lights.

Ive had my Halo lights for about 2 years now and they still have the original bulbs and the lighting actually got better for me in the dark when i installed them..

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
TheReason said:
Ive had my Halo lights for about 2 years now and they still have the original bulbs and the lighting actually got better for me in the dark when i installed them..
youve never had the crystals with 9007's have you? ;)

sethwas is selling his halos on ebay with the HID installed. i would jump on this because he (along with a VERY few others) is the only one i would trust to buy HID retro fit from. starting bid was $150 id say it could go up to $300 but for that type of lighting! its a steal

sethwas HID halos he also has some driving lights (he says they are even brighter (project farther) than the low beam HID's) and a set of nisnaks stealth corners if you want to ask him a question PM him and he'd be more than happy to answer any question you have :cheers:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts