Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 1.6 and I need to know how far back I can go back with an SR20 ECU for the JWT upgrade. do I have to get the same year or can I go back as early as 91?

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
I believe you need the exact year and transmission for the GA's to work. For example, FWIK, I would need to find a 1994 SE-R AUTO's ecu to work on my 1994 Sentra AUTO 1.6 --- but like I said, I could be wrong.

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Year might be important for a '94. IIRC a lot of wiring and other goodies were changed on the '94 from the '91-'93. I would call JWT and make sure a '91-'93 ECU would work for your car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've confirmed from JWT that for the 91-94 1.6, you can get any year range. So for my 94 1.6, I can go back as far as 91 for an sr20 ecu. they gave me a price of 595, and for the vtc to work an additional 275. A used ecu will run somewhere around 100 bucks so you're looking at about $970.00 :eek: that's pretty steep. I was thinking maybe we could set up some type of group deal to get the price down. I say if we start one we should get a date like august so everyone can have ample time to get their money together

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
Why does JWT want us to pay an extra $275 for VTC to work? That doesn't make sense. If it came with the car they should not charge for it! I wouldn't complain if they charged $275 for a major custom modification such as bigger injectors, fuelpumps, MAF's, TB's, Turbo's, or even NOS. For just the bolt-ons and rev limiter or whatever they do, and the increase of 8-10hp it's worth only $595. Also, for us automatic guys, it's gonna be really close to $1100 because we have to find a 2.0 auto ecu. You can have a haltech system for close to $1200! Does anyone agree with me?

·
Registered
136 Posts
The reason they charge extra for the VTC is because the SR20 did not come with it and JWT has to add another board into the ECU to make it work on the 1.6.

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
If they can hook up to the 2.0, how come they can't hookup for the 1.6? Maybe there's something technically different but they should let us know. Also, how come they can't include it with the $595 price, they're not manufacturing a whole new ECU, they just upgrade the programming in the $595, how come they couldn't just drop the programming fee down to $320 and then add the daughter board fee and make it a resonable mod? How different would the JWT ECU be vs. a haltech system? Wouldn't the haltech give a pretty good advantage or would the VTC be the only thing messing things up?

I'm not wanting to become a bad person or anything, I just want to understand. Another thing that's been tossing around my head is the price for the power gain, people say it's the best mod to date except for a header. The HS header costs $425 retail. The ECU will cost us $970. Is it worth paying that much for 8-10hp when you can spend that much money doing headwork or other things even cams?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know, but if you want your ga16de to have its full potential you definitely need the upgrade. but there is also another alternative. you can add up how much money you were going to put in your ga16de and add up how much it would cost you to do a sr20det swap and see which one is the most logical.

1,267 Posts
hotboy said:
I've confirmed from JWT that for the 91-94 1.6, you can get any year range. So for my 94 1.6, I can go back as far as 91 for an sr20 ecu. they gave me a price of 595, and for the vtc to work an additional 275. A used ecu will run somewhere around 100 bucks so you're looking at about $970.00 :eek: that's pretty steep. I was thinking maybe we could set up some type of group deal to get the price down. I say if we start one we should get a date like august so everyone can have ample time to get their money together
I didn't know they would supply a used ECU for you.....only $100 huh? That's not too bad I suppose, I almost bought an SE-R ECU for that much shipped anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No they don't supply the ECU, you have to get it yourself, I was just giving an estimate on how much it would cause the average person to come up on one. you definitely have to get it yourself

1 - 11 of 11 Posts