Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw recently a b13 for sale that had a Class I towing hitch on it and that got me to wondering if anyone here has towed anything with their b13. I do know that the owner's manual recommends against it. I have my gas- guzzling Frontier which I use rarely for its intended purpose (haul things in the bed) and if I bought a utility trailer (like the ones at Home Depot) I could get rid of it and just use the Sentra (automatic) when on the rare occasion I need to haul things, light in weight of course.

·
Registered
111 Posts
On a few occasions, I had to tow my dad's '96 Altima a few miles with my automatic B13, but I kept it in second gear because the engine was straining. You could probably pull a small open trailer with a riding mower without much trouble. I think you'll be fine since you plan on keeping the load light and the overall hauling infrequent. If you're looking for some numbers, the car's passenger weight capacity is 750 lbs.

I've seen a guy in my area drive a B12 with a heavy-looking stump grinder attached to the back of it, and it seemed to keep up with traffic. I don't know how hard he was pushing the engine though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I built a custom 2" receiver hitch for my '91 Sentra (GA16). Basically it's built to Class 3 specs even though the vehicle isn't rated for that type of load! However I have towed a 350 lb utility trailer with my Prairie 650 ATV on the back (680 lbs loaded), so the total weight was 1030 lbs. It didn't particularly like the hills, even with the 4.35 final drive I have in my tranny, but otherwise it was fine at 65-70 mph on the flats. No sway, no issues.

I have a custom made Wilwood front brake setup, and even then you really DO feel the weight when braking, so you just have to plan everything well in advance, and don't follow other people closely.

HTH,
Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts