Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 sentra 12 valve with an automatic t. Trying to change the transmission fluid the other day. When I tried to remove the fluid filter there was one bolt that appeared to go through the valve body and didn't loosen.

Question: do I have to remove the valve body before I remove the filter?
Also it behaved more like an adjustment bolt than a retaining bolt. In fear I gave up changing the filter element. Any advice?

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
b12owner said:
I have an 89 sentra 12 valve with an automatic t. Trying to change the transmission fluid the other day. When I tried to remove the fluid filter there was one bolt that appeared to go through the valve body and didn't loosen.

Question: do I have to remove the valve body before I remove the filter?
Also it behaved more like an adjustment bolt than a retaining bolt. In fear I gave up changing the filter element. Any advice?
Are you talking about a bolt that sits way out in the sorta 90 degree corner of the filter ? If you are, looking in the FSM, it appears there is a nut located on top of the valve body. It looks as though you would need to remove the valve body to get at it.

Looks like a good project to have the FSM for. Doubtful any haynes or chiltons will show automatic tranny internals. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts