Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was recently given an 86 B11, Carb, 5 speed 2 door sentra. I couldnt just throw it away as it ran pretty good after 4 years of sitting. I have done wheel bearings, valve cover gaskets, vacuum lines, pvc lines and valve. all filters, belts and rebuilt the PEICE OF JUNK hitachi carb. It was running great until the other day when it just quit out of the blue. No fuel to the carb, primed it, and it would run. Towed it home and next day it started and ran for a few days, then same thing. This sounds like a fuel pump right? Its running funny also, with no power.
So if its the fuel pump, should I run an electric? with pressure switch? or a stock manual? Sorry, new to the nissan thing. Thanks.

Might be a mini stocker at the dirt track soon!!!

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Welcome to the world of Nissan (enjoy the rde)! Start by changing the fuel filter as I'm 110% sure that is your first problem. Get all that nasty gas out of there and all that doesn't help get a new fuel pump. All this should help!!! Good luck;)

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
Also make sure all wiring is good.... i had this problem w my previous sentra 87... the wire was rusted out below the rear seat cuz water gets there from nowhere... if i were you id check it completely to see if it could be shorted somewhere... it costed me a towing myself... but 2cents o tape and an hours to get it back on the road again !!

Good luck!

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Could be a bad fuel pressure regulator. :confused:

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive changed the filter, that helped for a few days, but then it quit. I have a manual engine mounted fuel pump (Carb not FI), 20.00 at Advance Auto parts, but putting it on wont be easy, they mounted it on the back side of the engine, underneath the intake manifold!

·
CA18DET Wizard
1,366 Posts
Yeah, we know this (And I'm not being sarcastic)........It's a little mission, but not impossible.

·
Nissan/Mazda Gumshoe
1,052 Posts
its not exactly effortless , but its not something u wouldnt sweat over either. go ahead and pull out your manual and youll be set. good luck

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
converted to an electric pump, a purolator 1.5 to 4 psi. Runs great now....and only took me 20 minutes! Thanks for the advice everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts