Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to retrofit the Intake Manifold off of a B-13's engine to my 95 B-14?

I'm looking to install an SR20 Throttle body to help get the most out of my new Short Ram Intake. As far as I know the GA16 in B-14's had there Idle Air located on the Throttle Body unlike B-13's witch located it on the far side of the Manifold thus allowing the installation of an SR20 Throttle Body...
I have an SR20 Throttle Body locally available as well as a 93 Manifold, but I would love to find out if...

A.) Is this possible?
B.) Could I Modify an SR20 Throttle Body with Idle Air?
C.) Am I totally wrong about this subject?

·
Registered
92 Posts
someone help him cause if it helps im doing it to ! :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Im not positive on this but im pretty sure you would have to do alot of modifcation to get this close to working. I believe all you have to do to get the throttle body to work for you is modify the way the sensor fits on the throttle body. But like I said not positive. I think it would be easier to do that than get the manifold to work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
someone help him cause if it helps im doing it to ! :)
If you have a B13 then you should all but be able to do the swap, the only thing you might have to do is tap a hole for the vacuum line and port the manifold to match the larger TB... Search SR TB swap on the forums and you should fined plenty of how toes for the B-13's.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm pretty sure this would be a step backwards. The 1995 B-14 GA16 would have the larger intake ports compared to the B-13 GA16's intake ports. So the manifold would likely have smaller runners as well.

Fitting a bigger TB onto an intake with smaller runners onto a head with bigger ports seems like a step backwards...there's still an airflow bottleneck there!

JMTCW
Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see your point about the reason for the changes between B-13 and B-14 speck engines, but I know for a fact that the SR20's TB is larger then that of the B-13's and B-14's. I have a 3" Short Ram installed so having a larger TB would let me get more from it in the form of faster throttle response and the like. I do plan on porting the Manifold to match the larger ports in a fully equipped auto shop. I just need to know can it be done, or is it impossible?

·
who needs clearcoat
239 Posts
Yes, a larger throttle body would be great, but like rally bob said if you have to go to an older intake manifold with smaller runners, it's a lot of work for little to no gain.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Yes, a larger throttle body would be great, but like rally bob said if you have to go to an older intake manifold with smaller runners, it's a lot of work for little to no gain.
actually, if you look at it from an exhaust perspective, you would be creating a negative pressure that way, air flow going from a small area to big area to bigger area. with more pressure in the small area, the air will travel from an area of high pressure to low pressure more readily. you may actually experience an increased air flow. the problem lies in the fact that the b13 GA is OBD1, and the b14 GA is OBD2. you may have some issue's with your TPS.

·
who needs clearcoat
239 Posts
Yes, but if it goes from a big area (sr20 throttle body) to a smaller area (smaller b13 intake runners) to a bigger area (b14 head) that would just cause a bottleneck wouldn't it?

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
Yes, but if it goes from a big area (sr20 throttle body) to a smaller area (smaller b13 intake runners) to a bigger area (b14 head) that would just cause a bottleneck wouldn't it?
in reality you're right. the issue would be getting the air into the runners. you would then need foroce to pull air into them. if they're too small you would definitely bottle neck it. i also had things a little backwards in my mind lol. sorry, fighting a cold, and exhaustion.

as for the idle air issue, i'm sure it can be done. all of this CAN be done. the question is, would it be worth the time and effort? probably not. biggest issue is you're mixing OBD1 and OBD2 here with sensors and such. that's a headache and a half waiting to happen unless you're good with wiring and ECUs/programming.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
oh boy, don't even try this. YOu have the TPS on the TB, the AAC valve different, the EGR and BPT valves that are attached to the B13 manifold. The coolant hoses that run under the intake and the ones that run into the intake manifold from the Heater and the thermostat. There is so much going on that is attached, its not worth it. really. don't bother. then you have to have JWT somehow make the OBD2 computer operate the sensors and that is big bucks then. it would be easier to make a sheet metal intake and locate your sensors onto that manifold. Try that.

Chris 92 classic

·
Registered
258 Posts
yeah you guys come up with the craziest ideas i have ever head of and all i can say is I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! all the possibilities i dont really understand much but yeah if the process would be easier id call you genious... but yes the work involve for this to happen to results that might not justify the work then its not worth it much props though

·
who needs clearcoat
239 Posts
When working with a car without very much aftermarket support, the key is to be creative, patient, and maybe a little crazy.

·
Apprentice Technician
784 Posts
When working with a car without very much aftermarket support, the key is to be creative, patient, and maybe a little crazy.
yeah. but make sure you do your homework, and get second opinions. that's the biggest thing, is make sure you have other people to double check your work.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
The intake manifolds will not swap. The port spacing is different between the B13 and B14 GA16.

You can probably make a plate to use the B13 IACV in place of the B14 to swap to the SR TB. Honestly though it is not worth given the limited power a larger TB makes on an NA GA16.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts