Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey o knowledgeable ones. Am I correct in assuming the 88' E16i will switch with the 89' and 90' GA16i with no problem? The computers were identical and all. Only difference I see is the 12 valve head. Need to know as the E16i just spun a bearing and has a bad knock, (352K) and has to be replaced. If, they are as I suspect, a true bolt in, it's worth the xtra 20 ponies to offset my use of the ac. Any help is appriciated! I know it will have to be the auto engine control computer like mine. No prob.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You need to replace the wire harness. IMO, not worth the hassle. You'd need a tranny too. You can swap like for like in a day easy. An I for a GA??? A couple weekends. But then, I have never done it so don't let me talk you out of it.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
If I were to do an engine swap, I would goto the GA16DE instead of the GA16i. You arent gainin much hp from e16 to GA16 swap. Plus the parts for the GA16's are more expensive. I know both motors pretty well. Also the e16 is alot easier to work on IMO.

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
if you are thinking GA16i then go DE since you will be able to find a lower milage 16DE then an i engine also it has more ponies 120 vs the i's 90 or the E's 70 and there is more after market support for the newer DE, and the GA16i only came in the 89-90 sentra/pulsar and the GA16DE came in the 91-98 sentra/nx1600/200sx or so many more to chose from and they will swap in with about as much work maybe one more weekend's worth but a beter choice IMO

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yea go with the de if u are serious about a upgrade for a swap being that the ga16i was only in nissans for 2 years before they hurried up and upgraded it just tells u that they know it sucked, dohc design lasts a lot longer and gives more power

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Yur right...my GA16i kept droppin rotor buttons every 30k and the timing chain skipping a link every 40k. Yur right, it sucked but its gonna get me from A to B.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
yeaaa stupid timing chain, my guide shatterd, i ordered it but it took to long to get delivered so i put the engine back together without it, i havent had a problem since, i just make sure not to down shift as it would put slack on the other side of the chain and make it skip again. my resistors are comin in for my gti-r swap in my b13 so once thats on the road im throwin a ga16de in my 89, aparenly its REALLY easy and the only hard part is figureing out all the wires which i have a slight write up for anyway

·
Nissan Junkie
917 Posts
Single cam chain nissan engines are not that great the KA24e is the same as the GA16i it that guide gose you can almost always kiss your engine good bye

1 - 8 of 8 Posts