Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I turn left or right...sounds like I need new axles. The CV boots look fine, but they're broken many times before with the cv joints exposed to water, so is it finally time to replace them? Or could it be the bearings? I got 183K+ miles on my car so I'm sure its one of those...
Shed some light, fellas.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
Yeah, if you've replaced the boot many times, and it still goes clickity clack, then you should probably replace the axle because the bearings inside could be shot, or have dirt in them. It's easy to do. Only takes me like 20mins. Axles can range anywhere from $75 - $120 with core accounted for. Depends where you go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
BEWARE!

I've been trying to change a bad drive axle on my car for about two weeks now (it's a long story...I'll spare you the details). Anyway, I've found that it may be best to remove your axles and take them to an axle shop to be rebuild. This way you can put your original axles back on and it also will save you a few bucks. If you decide to trade out your originals for remanufactured axle, be sure that it is the correct axle. I've heard that some Nissan axles may differ by only about a centimeter in length and if you get the wrong one (which I think I have), it will cause a leak at the transmission.
I'll be able to shed some more light on this situation later today when the mechanic calls!

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
Db is correct, they prolly just throw all Nissan axles in a bin and call it good and don't take into account the differences.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
thats mildly true. I've been through about 4 axles in the year that I've owned my car. I've only snapped one of those. It was due to the fact that the axle was too short. But no transmission fluid leaked out or anything. I didn't know until it broke and I had to drive at 20mph the whole way home. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you get a bad one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts