Nissan Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thers 2 points to this conversation. One if u try to drift a fwd u have understeer to push ur front end out. Not a good thing if u ask me. Awd is very easy to drift compared to fwd if u have the controller. All u need to do is set most power to rear tires leave about 15% to front and drift away. It also helps to have a 2 way lsd in ur awd as well. :fluffy: Sorry had to do that. Now if u wanna go drift style i trust my 240sx in that but its an expensive thing to keep up. I have had problems alot of times. :fluffy:

·
My Other car is a SE-R
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You mean like the DCCD (driver controlled center differential) like in the sti's. the max power you can but into the back with that is like 65% IIRC. Wouldn't it be easier to just leave it at 50/50 power distribution?

·
My Other car is a SE-R
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Kind of off topic but anyone ever heard of a guy in the US using a evo 8 as a drift car in competions? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

·
Registered
17 Posts
From what I hear, Drifting AWD is pretty easy. They banned drifting AWD's in the D1 because AWD's have to go so fast to drift and it was very dangerous. We've drifted my friends Evolution 8. Have to come in hella fast, but the drift feels so weird. It's very controllable, but feels like your car is on a rails or something. Also the tranny was whining like crazy. .

·
Registered
17 Posts
SR20 Who Knew? said:
Kind of off topic but anyone ever heard of a guy in the US using a evo 8 as a drift car in competions? Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Reese Millen, Probably. I was there when he was doing it. Looked really smooth. He had his knobby rally tires on now. He's drifting the new GTO now

·
Registered
58 Posts
drifted an E39A previously... that thing is quite tough to control (slow responding RWS) until I got used to it..

as for the BNR32.... I think autospeed.com did an article on making it more fun to drive with (lessening the front end pulling)

in anycase, sliding is not only sliding on all 4 uncontrollably... you can be sliding to a stop with the rear wheels locked for all i care, and still be in control.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i doubt you'll care to read this

Okay, yeah Rhys Millen drifted the EVO8 for a while, but he now drifts the "GTO"... they had one preproduction model to work with, but they ended up importing a Holden Monaro for all the development. RMR (Rhys Millen Racing) is in Huntington Beach (my home town) and my buddies and i stopped in during the R&D, it was late and no one was there so one of the guys let us into the back and we got to see everything and he told us lots of stuff. And even Blaire (the guy from RMR) said that 4WD and AWD drifting is total crap and doesn't really work(*note the man works in that niche of the industry).

·
Registered
22 Posts
SR20 Who Knew? said:
Whats the difference between a power slide and a drift? I'm under the impression that they both use the cars power to KEEP the car going sideways. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

When you slide a car through a corner, you use the power to balance the car out. by applying power, weight transfers to the rear of the car, if you apply too much power the wheels spin, which causes weight to tranfer forward since they no longer are gripping the track, which makes the back end loose.

drifting is the art of applying enough power to get the rear end loose and sliding then balancing it on the edge of spinning out of control (too much power) or getting traction and the cars back end coming back under control.
it's sort of like a wheelie on a bike, too much throttle and your picking asphalt out of your back, not enough throttle and you look like a dork

·
Registered
33 Posts
about the drifting of an Evo 8. i actually read in an issue pf Sport Compact Car that the Evo in the 3rd fast and the furious (which i believe was an evo 9) had some kind of RWD conversion on it and that RMR developed it and used it on some of their own evos. ill try to find the article about it...kinda got me cruious now

·
My Other car is a SE-R
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
wow this thread is still alive.... COOOL! hahahaha well to add to this I'm actually in the middle of doing a rwd conversion on my RS. It's actually pretty easy but you have to get beefier parts to deal with the strees. Weld the center diff, build up the rear end and youre golden. But it's possible to drift an awd car. I do it on my way home from work if I can catch a green arrow and no one is there hahahahaha. It's basically full on everything, come in hot, brake hard, turn out just a tad cut back in and power through, if I had a little more power i can probalby hold it longer. Thats where the GT40R comes in but thats a whole different forum all together hehehehe.

And yes I still have the SE-R and yes I will still turbo it hahahahha

·
Registered
86 Posts
Whats the difference between a power slide and a drift? I'm under the impression that they both use the cars power to KEEP the car going sideways. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Sorry, I had to get this one. You are partly correct, but no! Power sliding is what is done when you are at the apex of a turn, crank the wheel to one side and just pull the hand break or romp on the gas. There's no skill (at all) involved with this. Drifting is a "controlled" slide into the apex (you are already sideways before approaching the turn). Because people can't grasp this concept, is and always will be the reason why drifting in the states is as garbage as it is. And the number 1 reason why people such as myself and many others like me, laugh at those silly little videos people post on the internet calling it "drifting".

·
Registered
86 Posts
just curious this is not to be mean at all...i swear but scourge isnt the GTS-T RWD only, if im worng let me, but the GTR is the only AWD skyline, unless you convert your GTS-T to awd, but the GTR does have the attessa control which allows you to chnage the drive line. right? let me know if im wrong
NO, this is not true at all. There is a Skyline that is AWD other than the GT-R

...I've always wondered who started this lie.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts