Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok Guy's I need more data here I really want to get better mpg with this car otherwise it's simply not worth it to me to drive a small car like this. I have been averaging around 26-27 mpg. I warm the car up every mourning for about five to eight minutes and I have a trunk full of tools of the trade about 75lbs. What are you guy's with the auto's getting? Oh I'm running regular unleaded and the car has had a fresh tune up and the timing was also checked so it's running decent. I always thought that I would see at least 30 or better???

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm I seem to be stuck at around 27 mpg not very impressive at all? I believe that I am running rich and therefore burning excess fuel. But the thing that puzzles me is the fact that I have not seen any cell since my engine tranny swap? It's almost as if that feature is not operable anymore for some unknown reason? I still am not totally happy with the 96 hp rating.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,290 Posts
Try changing the front O2 sensor, it controls the mixture and wont throw a code.
My Subaru dropped MPG with age, and when i put in a new O2 sensor i picked up 2 mpg in the city and highway. this was over a few thousand miles. it didn't return mpg highway to new, however in city was close!!!
I haven't replaced either of the B14's O2 sensor !!
BTW both the B14's have manual's so i cant comment on your Auto mileage.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I checked it again and combined city and highway is right around 27 mpg. I really thought I was going to be at 30 or so and to be honest the number is a bit disapointing considering the enemic performance. I will also add that there is a slight misalingment issue that I need to correct and I still believe that there has to be something else that I am missing as far as the performance of the engine. I still have a bit of a hesitation and a flat spot here and there that I can not figure out? I almost want to have the injectors gone through to make sure that they are not the problem? This engine sat on a shelf for several years making me think that maybe the injector spray pattern could have been effected?

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
My gxe EPA mileage on the sticker new was 29 city and 38 hwy.
I got 25 around town, ie 22 - 26 in Dallas traffic.
On the highway it did 35 -36 when new and stock.
With 15 inch wheels, bigger brakes, it did 30 to 32 on a 200 mile each way trip Dallas to Austin to Dallas at 70 - 80 mph
I don't believe the Auto will get close to this regardless of EPA mileage because its an older design 4 speed.
If you remember they lowered the EPA mileage by 10 - 15 % because of complaints it didn't reflect what was obtainable.

If you really are getting 27 combined I would say that's good and similar to my 25 - 26 around Dallas.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Is the B14 Auto 3 or 4 speeds ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
mine is 4 speed auto, and something important is that i haven't made mods to gain power, i just installed 18" wheels, a set of lowering springs and a couple of 12" subs, this stuff makes my car loose mpg but not too much likes the mpg i'm getting.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
I agree, also check your coolant temp sensor, that's been reported to go bad and give bad fuel mileage.
Dont know if Air temp sensor will give a problem, but worth checking.
Would be nice to know what you get on the highway on a longer trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
personally ive traveled 600-700 miles on 1 tank of gas doing 65+ MPH so idk how good that is but ill assume its good lol

I agree, also check your coolant temp sensor, that's been reported to go bad and give bad fuel mileage.
Dont know if Air temp sensor will give a problem, but worth checking.
Would be nice to know what you get on the highway on a longer trip.
and quick question, how do i check the coolant and air temp sensors, my MPG seems to be getting worse over time :|

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
well if you are getting 500 - 600 miles per tank at 65 mph then obviously nothing is wrong !!
when you were getting this mileage on a trip what was your in town mileage ?
Download the FSM and it will tell you how to check the sensors. I haven't done that so i would have to look it up.
I would check the coolant temp sensor first, Air temp sensor and then replace the O2 sensor unless the O2 sensor has done over 100K then i think it needs to be replaced anyway.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.