Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's I was wondering what everyone was getting for milage on the car? I am averaging about 30mpg and I'm not sure this is optimal??

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Guy's I need more data here I really want to get better mpg with this car otherwise it's simply not worth it to me to drive a small car like this. I have been averaging around 26-27 mpg. I warm the car up every mourning for about five to eight minutes and I have a trunk full of tools of the trade about 75lbs. What are you guy's with the auto's getting? Oh I'm running regular unleaded and the car has had a fresh tune up and the timing was also checked so it's running decent. I always thought that I would see at least 30 or better???

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm I seem to be stuck at around 27 mpg not very impressive at all? I believe that I am running rich and therefore burning excess fuel. But the thing that puzzles me is the fact that I have not seen any cell since my engine tranny swap? It's almost as if that feature is not operable anymore for some unknown reason? I still am not totally happy with the 96 hp rating.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,241 Posts
Try changing the front O2 sensor, it controls the mixture and wont throw a code.
My Subaru dropped MPG with age, and when i put in a new O2 sensor i picked up 2 mpg in the city and highway. this was over a few thousand miles. it didn't return mpg highway to new, however in city was close!!!
I haven't replaced either of the B14's O2 sensor !!
BTW both the B14's have manual's so i cant comment on your Auto mileage.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Is that highway, city, combined? You could always look for low rolling resistance tires next time, but the downside is that they are less sticky in handling and braking, but then the Sentra sedan isn't the most sporty car anyways....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Also the way you accelerate, how early and how hard you hit the brakes, how much over the speed limit you go, etc., can influence gas mileage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i think my B14 has a problem, i'm getting 19 mpg in the city, my engine is a GA16, my B14 is on 18" wheels and the suspension is really hard and i have 2 Audiobahn 12" subs in the trunk, what do you people think about my milleage.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I checked it again and combined city and highway is right around 27 mpg. I really thought I was going to be at 30 or so and to be honest the number is a bit disapointing considering the enemic performance. I will also add that there is a slight misalingment issue that I need to correct and I still believe that there has to be something else that I am missing as far as the performance of the engine. I still have a bit of a hesitation and a flat spot here and there that I can not figure out? I almost want to have the injectors gone through to make sure that they are not the problem? This engine sat on a shelf for several years making me think that maybe the injector spray pattern could have been effected?

·
Registered
173 Posts
18 inch wheels can hinder performance by adding very unnecessary unsprung weight, but I don't think it should change it by ~8-9 mpg. Have you checked things like plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc.?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
My gxe EPA mileage on the sticker new was 29 city and 38 hwy.
I got 25 around town, ie 22 - 26 in Dallas traffic.
On the highway it did 35 -36 when new and stock.
With 15 inch wheels, bigger brakes, it did 30 to 32 on a 200 mile each way trip Dallas to Austin to Dallas at 70 - 80 mph
I don't believe the Auto will get close to this regardless of EPA mileage because its an older design 4 speed.
If you remember they lowered the EPA mileage by 10 - 15 % because of complaints it didn't reflect what was obtainable.

If you really are getting 27 combined I would say that's good and similar to my 25 - 26 around Dallas.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i will check them and also i'm thinking on changing Oxygen Sensor, i think that with the mods i've made i should get about 25 mpg, but not 19 (city of course)

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Is the B14 Auto 3 or 4 speeds ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
mine is 4 speed auto, and something important is that i haven't made mods to gain power, i just installed 18" wheels, a set of lowering springs and a couple of 12" subs, this stuff makes my car loose mpg but not too much likes the mpg i'm getting.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I agree, also check your coolant temp sensor, that's been reported to go bad and give bad fuel mileage.
Dont know if Air temp sensor will give a problem, but worth checking.
Would be nice to know what you get on the highway on a longer trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
personally ive traveled 600-700 miles on 1 tank of gas doing 65+ MPH so idk how good that is but ill assume its good lol

I agree, also check your coolant temp sensor, that's been reported to go bad and give bad fuel mileage.
Dont know if Air temp sensor will give a problem, but worth checking.
Would be nice to know what you get on the highway on a longer trip.
and quick question, how do i check the coolant and air temp sensors, my MPG seems to be getting worse over time :|

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
well if you are getting 500 - 600 miles per tank at 65 mph then obviously nothing is wrong !!
when you were getting this mileage on a trip what was your in town mileage ?
Download the FSM and it will tell you how to check the sensors. I haven't done that so i would have to look it up.
I would check the coolant temp sensor first, Air temp sensor and then replace the O2 sensor unless the O2 sensor has done over 100K then i think it needs to be replaced anyway.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts