Nissan Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
the lighter the car the more mpg you will get change out header and air intake also go with a lighter cat back and lighter rims you might squeeze out 3-4 extra mpg

·
Registered
844 Posts
you should only be using the octane listed in your service manual (unless you have a turbo, advanced timing, etc).

·
Registered
13 Posts
b15chik said:
you should only be using the octane listed in your service manual (unless you have a turbo, advanced timing, etc).

No, I dont have turbo, or anything added to the engine. However, the octane level of the gasoline we use here is lower than the premium gasoline used in the states or europe. In fact, the regular gasoline here, is not even sold in the states. this should give u a clue of how bad it is and since the information about the octane level on top of being scarse is also unreliable u never know if they're selling you cheap gas for high octane gas.

These are the reasons why I choose to use premium (we only have regular and premium, nothing in between) over regular.

I was thinking about some things i could do on my own car (if any) over which i have more control than what the goverment here should be controlling (like the quality of gasoline).

·
Registered
13 Posts
cral said:
sentras are specified for 87 octane
So basically what youre saying is I should be using the cheap gas (supposedly rated at
89 octane) instead of the premium gas (supposedly at 95 octane)?

I thought the higher octane resulted in higher efficiency and thus higher gas mileage and performance....is it not so?

·
Registered
844 Posts
not true for your motor no. that's why i said you're supposed to use what the manual tells you to, lol. you're basically just wasting money. not that it's a lot of money, but still

·
Registered
13 Posts
b15chik said:
not true for your motor no. that's why i said you're supposed to use what the manual tells you to, lol. you're basically just wasting money. not that it's a lot of money, but still

Well it's always good advice to NOT waste money, no matter how little the amount.:) lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
alot of times the higher octane gas used in a low octane required vehical will result in burned out heads and other various parts because it runs a little hotter

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was checking my Owners manual, it states that i should use gasoline of AT LEAST 87 octane. from what I understand, the "at least" suggests that you could and should use gasoline with higher octane.
It goes on to explain the damage it could do to the engine if a lower octane gasoline is used.
What i dont use is fuel additives, which it clearly recommends not to use due to the detergent agents they might contain which attack the rubber parts, gaskets and so on.

the price difference between the regular 87 octane gas and the premium 95 octane gas, here, is a measely 29 cents. which translates into a 2.90 Us$ difference everytime i fill up the gas tank (which is every week and a half). So I'm not quite sure, from what my owners manual says, if I am actually wasting money....or...using a gasoline that is not recommended.

·
Registered
80 Posts
your just wasting you money for one main reason the sentras are not made to be high performance cars thus dont need the high octane

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got mine and I have been seeing 34. I dont drive in the city a lot. When I do...I still see 32-34. I think I got 41 MPG goin on a road trip of about 130 miles on the interstate. I bought this car just in time....my $800 Cadillac hits you hard when the gas is $1.80.

I know its an old post but LOL @ $1.80/gal for gas in 2005!!

guess times have changed...

·
Registered
33 Posts
62 miles each way to work on freeway up and down a big hill between 75-85 mph it gets 30mpg. could get better if I slow down but like to race up the hill to the hi-desert.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1.8s... 83 miles one way to work

-over-inflated tires
-ripped out the back seats and every single thing in the truck except spare tire for less weight
-synthetic blend oil

over 500 miles per tank, best gas mileage was just over 42mpg driving 55-60 on interstate, no changing lanes and no acceleration from the time I get on interstate to the time I get off

·
Registered
1 Posts
06 1.8s - the in-car display is hovering around 39.5 mpg. I reset the display each time I fill up. Last tank I got around 435 miles. I just started use basic "hypermiling" techniques; 55-60 mph on the hwy, slow acceleration, predicting stop lights, coasting in neutral on long downhill grades, and tires at max psi. I also ordered a ScanGauge II so I can better track my mpg's and other engine functions. My commute is 66 miles one way. My goal is to be able to get 500 miles to the tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
well after I replace my 153,000 mile motor (in about a week)with a low mile 2006 engine I will recheck the mileage plus I will be installing a header and a cold air intake too, so I am sure the mileage will be difference.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts