Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an 04 Sentra 1.8S, 5 speed. This is my commuter and winter slop car. I drive about 110 miles round trip for my normal commute each day. I use 87 octane gas and, since I got the car 1 year ago, have consistently recorded 33 to 34 mpg. I've never seen anything less than 32 mpg...even with the AC on in the summer on the rare days I use it in nice weather.

I'm pretty pleased with it. If I can squeeze 150K miles out of it w/o any problems, I'd be really happy and would consider another one as a replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
matt123 said:
I have an 04 Sentra 1.8S, 5 speed. This is my commuter and winter slop car. I drive about 110 miles round trip for my normal commute each day. I use 87 octane gas and, since I got the car 1 year ago, have consistently recorded 33 to 34 mpg. I've never seen anything less than 32 mpg...even with the AC on in the summer on the rare days I use it in nice weather.

I'm pretty pleased with it. If I can squeeze 150K miles out of it w/o any problems, I'd be really happy and would consider another one as a replacement.
Well, my girlfriend usually drives our 2004 1.8S automatic. We haven't seen anything over 30 mpg unfortunatly (nothing like the 34 they advertise).

I'm hoping with some more mileage it will get better. We have about 8K on it now, and have owned it since Sept. 04.

We do love it though, and if we can get 150K out of it w/o issues it will be a great buy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 95' Sentra GXE Automatic.
18-19 MPG HARD City Driving
20-22 MPG Normal City Driving
Never do any highway driving so I couldn't tell you that.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,240 Posts
jdmdrt said:
I have a 95' Sentra GXE Automatic.
18-19 MPG HARD City Driving
20-22 MPG Normal City Driving
Never do any highway driving so I couldn't tell you that.
97 GXE 5sp
25 city / mixed heavy traffic commuting.
28 - 34 hwy (200 mile trips) 70 - 85 mph cruising

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know that Autos won't give as good gas mileage compared to a standard shift that's gently driven, but I'm surprised your MPG is as low as it is.

What kind of driving are you doing? This isn't a performance car by any stretch - if you're flying from stoplight to stoplight and punching the pedal every chance you get, I can understand the low numbers. I would expect at least upper 20s for most driving.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,240 Posts
matt123 said:
I know that Autos won't give as good gas mileage compared to a standard shift that's gently driven, but I'm surprised your MPG is as low as it is.

What kind of driving are you doing? This isn't a performance car by any stretch - if you're flying from stoplight to stoplight and punching the pedal every chance you get, I can understand the low numbers. I would expect at least upper 20s for most driving.
The commuting is heavy traffic stop and go and when moving can get up to 40 or 50 then slow again or stop at a light. 11 miles each way. Yes with a whole 90 HP its driven hard.
A couple of issues I am aware of. First the O2 sensors are old and original. This was good for 2 mpg city and 3 -4 MPG on my Subaru.
Second the A/C is always on here because of the humidity year round. And the A/C is over charged, causing really bad drag. I let some Freon out but its still cycling on the high pressure switch instead of the low pressure switch.

On the highway I am either in traffic or pushing it up to 80 or over on a fairly regular 200 mile each way round trip. This is hard driving for this car. When newer with lower speeds it did 35 to 40 mpg on the highway.
The wider tires also may have lowered the MPG.
As a side note now I have a tach the city MPG has improved on the first tank. Hopefully it will continue.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
I just got mine and I have been seeing 34. I dont drive in the city a lot. When I do...I still see 32-34. I think I got 41 MPG goin on a road trip of about 130 miles on the interstate. I bought this car just in time....my $800 Cadillac hits you hard when the gas is $1.80.

·
Nis-ho
556 Posts
i get about 31-34mpg depending on the week, i wish i could get 36 mpg, but i also think my 02 sensor is bad

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
02 sepcV

93 octane 25-28MPG

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Sorority Demon said:
Spec V - 27.7 mpg
SE-R auto - 21.6 mpg
what brand gas and what octane? i can do 25 with spirited driving and im cammed and built on the tranny.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Zac, I know you like the chevron gas, and I had the chance to put it in my auto on my recent road trip to florida. I was able to get 317 miles all highway with the cruise on 70 mph with their 93 gas.

I have noticed that sometimes it will rev higher than usual just cruisin around, like sometimes it will be close to 2k rpm going 40. I will look at the thottle position on the SAFC and it will read about 10 or 11%. If I drive it up to 50 the revs will increase slightly then drop back down to 2k and the throttle % drops as well. I don't know if its reving high because of the extra weight I am pulling, because its driven in the city a lot, or if my tranny or engine just sucks. I maintain the car meticulously, oil changes every 2500-3000 miles, clean air filter after every other oil change, and it has brand new plugs in it. I also have had 2 tranny and coolant flushes done, with a tranny done yesterday after hitting 50k miles.

Ever since I moved the 02 sensor from the bung on cyl # 3 down to the bung where all 4 pipes converge on the header, my check engine light has not come back, and the car no longer smells rich. But my milage still sucks. I still need to have the safc tuned, hopefully that will help a little. Other than that I can't figure what else to do to improve it.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
I usually get 17-20 city, and 25-29 on the highway.

220-250 miles average on a full tank.

Havent cleaned my air filter in 10k+ miles though.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Psch91 said:
I usually get 17-20 city, and 25-29 on the highway.

220-250 miles average on a full tank.

Havent cleaned my air filter in 10k+ miles though.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

·
What is Seven Ten for?
2,917 Posts
Sorority Demon said:
Ever since I moved the 02 sensor from the bung on cyl # 3 down to the bung where all 4 pipes converge on the header, my check engine light has not come back, and the car no longer smells rich. But my milage still sucks. I still need to have the safc tuned, hopefully that will help a little. Other than that I can't figure what else to do to improve it.
Just because it doesn't smell rich doesn't mean your not still running rich. Get that sucker tuned!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, I am confused now. I have a '03 GXE B15, I get around 25 MPH on a very fuel efficient driving style.
I use premium gas so the milage should be higher. I live in the Dominican Republic, so, warm weather all year round. My tires are inflated to factory recommendations. 33/30 PSI.

I had it serviced in December. changed spark plugs, air filter, etc. I do use A/C most of the time (on the lowest setting) however i dont think the A/C alone can account for the BIG MPG difference (supposedly up to 25%) I have read from other fellow contributors.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to improve my gas mileage? an increase of 5 MPG would make a huge difference for me.

Thanks

21 - 40 of 58 Posts