Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, well its that time of the year again. I had problems with this car back in December, worked on it a little bit and then said "Screw it" when the snow started falling. The car has been sitting since right before christmas, and now that the snow is melted and the sun is coming out its time to work on it again.

Its a 92 Sentra SER with a Avenir W11 SR20DET swap

I drove the car around for a bit, was starting to "Sputter" so I replaced the spark plugs, and changed the oil. Took the spark plugs out, and instantly realized that the 2nd cylinder spark plug had a "Blown off tip" so I drove it home, and on my way home I looked in the rear view mirror and realized there was alot of smoke behind me. Got to my house, did a compression test and thats when I saw 2nd cylinder (Same one with the spark plug blow off) had no compression at all. All of the other 3 had compression. I took a flashlight and shined it down where the spark plug goes in the 2nd cylinder and saw that it was pretty moist down on top of the piston. I have pretty much narrowed it down to 3 things. Valves, Rings, or the piston itself.

I havent taken the head off yet, but I am in the process of doing it. (Rusted bolts are a pain in the...)

I wanna know what you guys got for opinions...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,244 Posts
doesn't sound like valves unless it went through the piston.
No compression at all ?
Does it start to fire at higher revs ?
I purchased a Jag mkII when i was young with no compression and no fire on one cylinder.
Drove it and it would light up at 4000 rpm.
Drove it home gently with a gallon of Oil for top ups, 65 miles, used all the Oil......
Piston had a hole about an 1/2 inch dia !!!!! Could put my finger in it !!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No compression at all, I forget the numbers but it was something like 130, 0, 120, 125 or something. When I pulled the spark plug out it was soaked in oil, which is making me believe it's the piston itself. I don't think if the rings were bad it would have that much oil get by.

I was realllllllly hoping it was valves though. :balls:

I think I'm just going to turn this into a project car and get a new one for a daily driver.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Well what i am trying to say is zero compression and if it doesn't fire at high rpms is a BIG hole in my experience !!!
I assume you did squirt some Engine Oil in and repeat the compression test. If it comes up it means is Rings...but as you say its unlikely.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
You can replace just one piston, they do not have to be replaced in sets. Replaced just one on the MK II Jag. The failure was in fact one of a new replacement set, found out they are manufactured to a weight tolerance of less than one gram (and that was a long time ago in the UK), and any piston would be OK as a replacement. I did buy the same brand just in case !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts