Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any info about forcefeeding a 99SEL SR20DE automatic as far as what to do with the drivetrain. i prety much knowwhat im going to go with for all the engine stuff, i just need to know what the auto tranny is able to hold.

i was trying to look at a couple of articles in NPM but i got a bunch of script instead of the articles.

any help would be much appreciated..

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I don't talk about the stock trans on my web site. It lasted 18 months with almost exclusively street/highway driving at 5.5# of boost (~185WHP). At that point the clutch packs were so fried that when boost came on, the engine immediately went to the rev limit and the trans shifted.

I drove to Level 10 in New Jersey, and they disassembled my trans and rebuilt it. The clutch plates and band were blackened, crazed, and brittle. They replaced the clutch packs with new ones made with a high performance friction material. The plates were thinner than stock, so each clutch pack has several more plates. They replaced the stock pump with a high pressure pump to put more clamping force on the clutch packs. They modified the valve body to make the shifts crisper. They sent me to get a dyno run so they could match a torque converter to my engine. It is ~3200rpm stall. The owner told me that the trans should easily hold 300WHP.

In 2000 it cost me $3200 for parts and labor. It's more now. However, if you're brave enough to do it yourself, it would be much cheaper.

It has been trouble free for 4 1/2 years now running 6.5# of boost on the street and 9# at the drag strip.

Lew

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lshadoff said:
I don't talk about the stock trans on my web site. It lasted 18 months with almost exclusively street/highway driving at 5.5# of boost (~185WHP). At that point the clutch packs were so fried that when boost came on, the engine immediately went to the rev limit and the trans shifted.

I drove to Level 10 in New Jersey, and they disassembled my trans and rebuilt it. The clutch plates and band were blackened, crazed, and brittle. They replaced the clutch packs with new ones made with a high performance friction material. The plates were thinner than stock, so each clutch pack has several more plates. They replaced the stock pump with a high pressure pump to put more clamping force on the clutch packs. They modified the valve body to make the shifts crisper. They sent me to get a dyno run so they could match a torque converter to my engine. It is ~3200rpm stall. The owner told me that the trans should easily hold 300WHP.

In 2000 it cost me $3200 for parts and labor. It's more now. However, if you're brave enough to do it yourself, it would be much cheaper.

It has been trouble free for 4 1/2 years now running 6.5# of boost on the street and 9# at the drag strip.

Lew
did you have to do anything with the axles yet, what kind of HP are you looking at with that kind of boost.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
2nrguy said:
did you have to do anything with the axles yet, what kind of HP are you looking at with that kind of boost.
I purchased the car new. It has the original axles and original motor mounts.

I haven't had the car on a dyno since the trans was rebuilt. If my car is typical, it should be making about 200WHP at 6.5# of boost and about 225WHP at 9# of boost.

Lew

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive heard that these engines can handle about 400HP before you have to start getting into the bottom end, im looking at getting a turbo set up for about 300-330HP and trying to weigh the pros/cons of going with a auto trans or just bite the bullet and do a manual swap.

·