Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98' GXE automatic and want to make it a five speed. I was wondering if anyone knew about how much it would cost to get done somewhere. I would like to go turbo and need a better clutch. Any advice is appreciated.

·
tiffany was hardcore?
195 Posts
sentrazack said:
I have a 98' GXE automatic and want to make it a five speed. I was wondering if anyone knew about how much it would cost to get done somewhere. I would like to go turbo and need a better clutch. Any advice is appreciated.
if you want to go turbo stay with an automatic you would be better off and faster cause u dont have to worry about switching gears:p you could boost a lot harder right of the line with an automatic too which is a good thing
other wise if you really want to go with the expensive mod of auto to manual there is a thread in b15sentra about it :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in that case how long will it be before the stock clutch goes?

·
tiffany was hardcore?
195 Posts
you have an auto matic there is no clutch if you are talking about a 5 speed it depends on how hard you are on it when i had a car with a manny it lasted 2 years np other people i know go through clutches with in 2 months and so fourth it depends on you skills:D

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
WELL addicted u get the prize for FIrst Sentra with altezzas-- Props for being the guinea pig around here " mp2050
I got my sentra Altezza's when they first came out :p

i can say im first. I dont like auto tranny that much i rather want a manual cuz it faster in a sense and i can have better control.

·
tiffany was hardcore?
195 Posts
LIUSPEED said:

I got my sentra Altezza's when they first came out :p

i can say im first. I dont like auto tranny that much i rather want a manual cuz it faster in a sense and i can have better control.
lets stay on topic not talking tailights here anyway :rolleyes:
faster i dont know about that one:eek: same amount of hp,torque wait same car. actually an auto would be faster cause you dont have to shift gears no lag . i to like manual cause yes you have control over the car. in a manual you have complete control over your engine but nothing else

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
addictednissan said:

lets stay on topic not talking tailights here anyway :rolleyes:
faster i dont know about that one:eek: same amount of hp,torque wait same car. actually an auto would be faster cause you dont have to shift gears no lag . i to like manual cause yes you have control over the car. in a manual you have complete control over your engine but nothing else
an auto would not be faster. The auto shifts when it wants, you shift when you want. The car has the same hp and tq but since my car is lighter it should be faster. I belive, dont quote me, the manual car has more useable horse power. Meaning?? Less stuff to power in the tranny thus leaving more hp to use.

·
tiffany was hardcore?
195 Posts
i guess if you think of it that way, it depoends how good you are shifting and or in an auto matic you can just step on the gas and go maybe same amount of time maybe stick is a little faster:eek:
the only way your car could be lighter is if you removed some things or added other materials not on a stock car
im not sure on that more useable hp though in a stick

·
Registered
245 Posts
Automatics (for the most part) are not faster. For one thing, most automatics are 4 speeds, while most manuals are 5 speeds; this allows manuals to have better optimization of the gearing to keep the engine in the powerband longer. Furthermore, auto trannies have higher drivetrain losses than manual trannys. Plus, they shift slower and on a road course, it's very difficult to use an auto tranny because it can be difficult to keep it in gear i.e. it'll shift when you don't want it to which can lead to a weight shift which can cause the car to become unbalanced and spin out. Or it could be in the wrong gear for accelerating out of a corner, etc. Auto trannies usually weigh more and our auto trannies can't handle as much power as the manuals; they burn out the torque converters from what I recall. Auto's use to be advantagous in drag racing because you could brake torque to build up boost with the turbos. Nowadays though, there are engine management systems which allow you to build boost at the line. Basically, auto trannies suck if you want to go fast.

Khiem

·
Registered
672 Posts
i know tis may sound rediculous, but here it goes::: is it possible to convert a sentra to tip tronic, manu matic or whatever it is u call 5 speed automatics ??
would it be possible to turbo a ga16de automatic without doing anything to the transmissiin, would it break?

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
spdracerUT said:
Automatics (for the most part) are not faster. For one thing, most automatics are 4 speeds, while most manuals are 5 speeds; this allows manuals to have better optimization of the gearing to keep the engine in the powerband longer. Furthermore, auto trannies have higher drivetrain losses than manual trannys. Plus, they shift slower and on a road course, it's very difficult to use an auto tranny because it can be difficult to keep it in gear i.e. it'll shift when you don't want it to which can lead to a weight shift which can cause the car to become unbalanced and spin out. Or it could be in the wrong gear for accelerating out of a corner, etc. Auto trannies usually weigh more and our auto trannies can't handle as much power as the manuals; they burn out the torque converters from what I recall. Auto's use to be advantagous in drag racing because you could brake torque to build up boost with the turbos. Nowadays though, there are engine management systems which allow you to build boost at the line. Basically, auto trannies suck if you want to go fast.

Khiem
also no engine braking.

But to answer Rios question, tiptronic and manumatics are the same thing as manual shifting your auto. behind the shifter the tranny is pretty much the same.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very true. automatics would be slower as far a shifting and it also robs the car of more HP. If you looking on the net I forget what site it was but they were looking at the sentra(b14) when it first came out and was comparing all the trim levels. They had all the stats and the auto sentra was alot slower than 5 speed. I think it was like a whole second difference. It might make you a little faster if you covert it but you know if you gonna speend all that money you should just save a little more and buy a sr20de and swap it in your car.

·
One and only (sr20)
229 Posts
Liuspeed? How long have you had your altezzas? I have had mine for a week and a half. The only problem is they do not fit right. It could be because two weeks after I got my car. I was smashed in the rear. My whole trunk was completely smashed!

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
i had mine for 3 months now. the reason it dont fit all teh way cuz u had an accident. take it 2 a body shop and tell them what happened so they can fix it. Mine dot fit right either on the right side cuz i had an accident. Nothing fits right esp when u had an accident and got it fixed.

·
Registered
672 Posts
i hear alot of talk on these forums of man shifting an automatic tranny......wouldnt it mess it up then? soemone please answer this, cause im sure it would

·
One and only (sr20)
229 Posts
Mine do not fit on the right side either. But i know they cant fix it. When I was in the wreck they replaced the whole rear end,and it was done by the best import body shop in town. They only work on imports!

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
it is fixable. it just requires alot of work cuz you hafta re-do that one side to make it fit correctly. when i gettin my body kit on and stuff im asking my friend 2 fix it for me. he told me it takes alot of re-doing that side and re-molding it back on perfectly

1 - 20 of 54 Posts