Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that im pretty much SOL. i have a ga16de and to make shit worse its automatic. instead of bullshitting around with intake , exhaust, pulleys and not even sticking with a stock ser i'm thinking of getting a custom made turbo kit. does anyone have a turbo charged automatic or know how much boost a auto trans with a tranny cooler can take could you let me know. I know it would be smarter to do a manual transmission swap before thinking about turbo but even though i could get it done for free (labor wise) in my autotech class i could only afford the transmission from a junk yard and i wouldn't really trust a part as big and important as a trasmission from a junk yard without proof that it works and works longer than just a few hundred miles.

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
Seriously, please do a search. This has been discussed in depth. To make it short, no there are not any GA16DE turbo automatics out there known to this forum. Until someone attempts such a project the limits of the automatic will not be known and what is required to make it work. If you turbo your automatic car you'll probably be the first. :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i'm not going to be the guinea pig. i'm just going to put exhuast, header and intake on to make it sound better and make up for the performance loss of the 17 or 18 inch rollers and just cruise my shit

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know my luck. i'll turbo the automatic, try to race some v6 mustang and there goes my transmission and i'm back to riding the bus to school. nah i'm just going to focus on aesthetics and just put it on the bottle when i want a adrenaline rush.

·
Driver
736 Posts
That sounds like a good plan, but don't waste your money on bolt-ons since they don't make much of a difference with the automatic anyways.

·
Team Serious
2,132 Posts
barnoun said:
That sounds like a good plan, but don't waste your money on bolt-ons since they don't make much of a difference with the automatic anyways.

so are you trying to say it's a waste of time to do anything to a auto car other than drop a det in it......(its been done)

I don't think that is correct.... I have put on a exhaust as well as a cai and notice a nice diffrence in my auto!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
hell ye man same here got me a auto wit cai and exasut and timing advance and put the smack down on a 95 altima auto wit intake and exhaust. big up to my auto people and i say mod ure auto man a 50shot of squeeze and ure all set.latezzzz

·
Driver
736 Posts
selrider99 said:

so are you trying to say it's a waste of time to do anything to a auto car other than drop a det in it......(its been done)...
Not really, I'm just saying(after seeing andre's 97hp dyno), that to get the most bang for the buck with a ga16 auto, you have to either turbo/use n2o/swap to a manual/or upgrade the converter to get any real power out of the car. I mean, I have an exhaust, adv. timing, pulley, and lighter wheels on my auto and while it has improved its performance as far as I'm concerned, it's still a 17-18 sec car at the end of the day(basically where it started stock).

P.S. I'm not a fan of the DET, it's been done a lot and while it gets the job done, it's not the most creative solution(think swapping a B18C into a civic hatch and you get the idea).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Let me be the ginea pig

I'd have no problem being the first with an auto ga16, my only problem is with funding. I'd gladly do it if we could put $3000 together to prep the tranny for it....I'd put the rest for the other parts, labor, and the turbo. Look at it this way, if 300 people chip in $10 each, we could have an auto Ga running by next summer. What do you say? Heck, if I could get that $3000, I'd just give away my header, exhaust, and pulley to 3 people on here. Dead serious.

·
Driver
736 Posts
If I had a disposable income, I'd install the turbo and see how much power the stock tranny could handle, so others would know when they can expect it to break. Once the tranny breaks, then I'd get another one and beef it up before installation.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
selrider99 said:
dre it would be great...but then again you must remember that you car then belong to 300+ people.......talk about having allot of drivers under your ins......
Yeah man...I thought about that this morning too. It would be kinda unfair....I mean, its not like there isn't someone else out there thats not in college and has a little money to put towards turboing their auto GA each month. Besides, I need to pay my mother for the car by next summer too. :p Oh well. No turbo for me.....nitrous is a different story though. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
turboing an auto tranny? :rolleyes: No one in the right mind would do that...why not just sell the car, buy a used hatch, and drop in a new engine into that? instead of custom turboing a a/t??

·
Registered
126 Posts
well u can always do a tranny swap but thats at least another 3 grand to do a swap. Usually that wouldn't be worth it because you could just buy another car manual and you could save money that way.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts