Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 240sx with a very annoying problem. Transmission will not shift until 5,000 rpm. I have had the original trans checked out, replaced the tranny, and recently replaced the shift controller. Still having the same problem and performing a 5-spd swap is out of the question at this time. This problem alone has shredded my wallet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ldaggerl said:
maybe a stall chip or what ever...i don't think thats it but that would make it so a car wouldn't shift if i'm right

As far as I can tell, the car doesn't have any kind of stall chip. Some information that I have recently aquired shows that it may have something to do with the throttle position sensor. Sounds wierd I know. Seems the trans controller uses the tps to determine the shift points. Still have to troubleshoot this theory.

·
Registered
87 Posts
endofmywits said:
As far as I can tell, the car doesn't have any kind of stall chip. Some information that I have recently aquired shows that it may have something to do with the throttle position sensor. Sounds wierd I know. Seems the trans controller uses the tps to determine the shift points. Still have to troubleshoot this theory.
That sounds about right.

The valve body uses the speed sensors along with the throttle position sensor to determine when to shift.

good luck with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a problem like that with my girlfriend 240sx. The TPS (throttle positioning system) was rusted from the inside out. This is sensor is situated just next to the throttle body. I think there's about 3 sensors there. This will actually make the ECU think that the pedal is to the floor or close to it, and the passing gear will stay on. You can unhook it without major problems.

If it's your problem it's not easy to change that little **** sensors. I just change it, like a couple of month ago has I changed the water pump and thermostat. I would just leave it unhook.

I think it could also be an other sensor, but I can't think of it's name right now.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the other sensor that you're thinking of is the revolution sensor. This reads the rpms so the atc knows when to send the signal to shift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts