Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info regarding how the auto tranny in the new Altimas perform with the 3.5 engine. I know, I know, autos are for wimps, but it's about convenience (with two kids and all). I've had a few decent cars with sticks (Acura Integra GS-R), but am looking into a performance sedan and like what I see so far in the Altima. So, does the auto behave well or what (shift points, etc.) and are there any aftermarket goodies for it?

Thanks all.

·
Friends of ours...
1,346 Posts
The Automatic works great. The gated shifter is a nice feature, and you can drive it like a stick... Starting in first and then go through the gears.

No aftermarket parts yet, but at WOT, the shift points are well below redline. Manually "shifting" the car really helps if speed is the goal.

·
Yea, I'm a freak..
560 Posts
OhTwoAltimaSE said:
The Automatic works great. The gated shifter is a nice feature, and you can drive it like a stick... Starting in first and then go through the gears.

No aftermarket parts yet, but at WOT, the shift points are well below redline. Manually "shifting" the car really helps if speed is the goal.
could not have said it better myself. The only problem I have with the auto is with the VQ35's torque and the sometimes odd shift behavior, it can be suprising to say the least when its wet out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Auto Tranny.. is pretty good when you "manually"shift it. I've taken it to the track and ran a 15.2 when I just left it in D, and a 14.7 manually shifting. I've since added a CAI, and custom exhaust, and ran a 14.67.. but my car gets up and goes now.. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also, I know of a shop near me that is doing VB mods, which will tighten the gearing and prevent a lot of the vagueness in our trannies. He told me it would cost about $350. And while he did say it would void your warranty, it wouldn't b/c the dealer would never open up the tranny to check. He was a former Lexus mechanic so I guess he knows what he's talking about in that aspect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
auto tranny shift points

the auto tranny shifts early cause the torque converter causes the torque to fall off like a rock at 6200 rpm. i mean it goes straight to zero. you are faster shifting at 6200 than at 6750.

the best starts are with half to 3/4 throttle as well.

i have dyno'ed my auto with mods (i/e/chip) and this is where you want to shift.

the gear ratios are close enough that, for example, 6700 rpm will do you less good than say about 4200 rpm in the next gear.

my best time was 14.9 in the quarter on a 100 degree night at 1500 ft altitude.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: auto tranny shift points

3.5SE Auto said:
the auto tranny shifts early cause the torque converter causes the torque to fall off like a rock at 6200 rpm. i mean it goes straight to zero. you are faster shifting at 6200 than at 6750.

the best starts are with half to 3/4 throttle as well.

i have dyno'ed my auto with mods (i/e/chip) and this is where you want to shift.

the gear ratios are close enough that, for example, 6700 rpm will do you less good than say about 4200 rpm in the next gear.

my best time was 14.9 in the quarter on a 100 degree night at 1500 ft altitude.

Welcome aboard Snolden.. your sig gave it away.. :)

·
Friends of ours...
1,346 Posts
Frank02L said:
I left it in "D" and it went [email protected] or 77 1/8th. I am not sure what that equates to in 1/4, but the 'local' track is actually 1000ft and it went [email protected] I just pulled the stock paper (really dirty) filter out and that was all that was done to the car.
Wonder if there is a calculator out there that can convert that number....?

·
Registered
176 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

DONT' DO THAT. I KILLED TWO MAFS ALREADY FROM DIRT AND WATER (NOT OIL). THE MAF IS JUST A WIRE AND CAN BE HURT EASILY.

Sooner or later, nissan will catch on and make somebody pay to replace the MAF. please don't let this happen to you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, there is a "rough" factor that converts 1000ft to 1320 ETs, but I have no MPH conversion. (.835)
12.21/.835=14.62

Only for 1 pass, only at the track. Not like I run around without a filter all the time. Also, my 1/8th mph was higher than what you used as an "extrapolation".

·
Registered
268 Posts
Finally...Willy is in the forum....My auto shifts very slow and not firm at all. Probably the worst auto tranny I have ever driven. If this car had the shifts of my 92 Prelude it would be awsome

·
Registered
196 Posts
I want to drive an Auto. I never did test driveone of them. Hey I can go to the dealer and trade in my wrecked 5 gear! No I could never do that. some paint and im all good!:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
wild willy said:
Finally...Willy is in the forum....My auto shifts very slow and not firm at all. Probably the worst auto tranny I have ever driven. If this car had the shifts of my 92 Prelude it would be awsome
Willy welcome aboard.. :) Do you manually shift, or do you just leave it in D?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I blew the doors of RATWAYNE tonight, in the rain, with my Michelin rain tires.
Of course he may have another story, but don't believe it. I spanked him bad.
He should be joining us soon.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts