Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i ordered a hotshot head and magnaflow cat-back and injen intake for my B-14...and i expect to mod my engine more in the future..but my question is...can a auto tranny handle the power from a modded GA 1.6? or is manual tranny is better?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The auto trans can handle the power from a normally aspirated engine. You will find, however, that some modifications reduce low rpm power, and the car will be slower taking off. You will see what I mean after you install the header/exhaust. Once the car is moving, though, it will be fun.

Lew

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well shit that aint good...i would want it to be a little faster with a couple of mods...but man i wish switching to an manual tranny from an auto wouldn't be such a pain in the ass

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
sentdawg said:
Well shit that aint good...i would want it to be a little faster with a couple of mods...but man i wish switching to an manual tranny from an auto wouldn't be such a pain in the ass
Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up faster.... ;)

Anyway just put those mods. on and see for yourself, real world experience is the only way to tell if your willing to accept those mods. on an Auto. Tranny.

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
lshadoff said:
The auto trans can handle the power from a normally aspirated engine. You will find, however, that some modifications reduce low rpm power, and the car will be slower taking off. You will see what I mean after you install the header/exhaust. Once the car is moving, though, it will be fun.

Lew
Definately true. I had that with my 97 Sentra. Take off is horrible but from a rolling start it's pretty quick. However, manual is so much more fun

Mitch

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Take off is not horrible at all... just place the car in Neutral, rev the engine and switch it to drive without pressing the brakes. That's an automatic burnout...just as good as the manual one. I do it all the time ever since I bought this car in 94 but don't quote me on it your trans may not take it well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Twiz said:
Take off is not horrible at all... just place the car in Neutral, rev the engine and switch it to drive without pressing the brakes. That's an automatic burnout...just as good as the manual one. I do it all the time ever since I bought this car in 94 but don't quote me on it your trans may not take it well.
My god, neutral drops are just about the worst thing you can do to an automatic transmission! I hope you have a trans-replacement fund for when it inevitably grenades.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Jared592 said:
My god, neutral drops are just about the worst thing you can do to an automatic transmission! I hope you have a trans-replacement fund for when it inevitably grenades.
I agree... don't try it... you're bound to ruin something when you do this... but it's just as bad to what it would do to a manual. An automatic trans can protect your engine if you don't know how to shift properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Twiz said:
I agree... don't try it... you're bound to ruin something when you do this... but it's just as bad to what it would do to a manual. An automatic trans can protect your engine if you don't know how to shift properly.
No, in a manual the worst you'll do dumping the clutch is put excessive wear on your clutch or just plain burn it up. When you neutral-drop an auto trans, you're putting sudden extreme pressure on locked-together drivetrain components; there's no designated wear component to take the brunt of the force of the engine. Note also that a clutch replacement at a shop will run you significantly less than an auto trans rebuild/replacement when it inevitably barfs its innards all over the street.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Actually I never went to a car shop so I have no idea about any kind of price. I took off and tried to rebuild a few transmissions before except the 4L60E which sucks cause it's got these ball bearings and I gave up on it. I drove manual before but I like automatic better.

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
Twiz said:
Actually I never went to a car shop so I have no idea about any kind of price. I took off and tried to rebuild a few transmissions before except the 4L60E which sucks cause it's got these ball bearings and I gave up on it. I drove manual before but I like automatic better.
I had to replace my auto tranny cuz a leak in the radiator let water into the fluid and ruined the clutch packs. I was given an estimation of around $2 grand for rebuild. I got a reman through a dealership for $1,500. It ain't cheap.

Mitch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts