Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would be the best way to strenghten an auto tanny asides from a cooler? i dont really want a stall converter, as that causes too much heat for my liking. what else is there so my cars tranny doesnt go up in smoke?

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
get a shift kit. it will decrease the overlap time in the shifts and prevent the clutches from burning. Level 10 has the Hydrosystem which is their shift kit.

wanna know something interesting? the auto tranny on the se-r and the 1.6 are designed almost exactly alike. The se-r has more clutch plates in it's high clutch pack which controls 3-4 shifts... other than that it's only the valve body that is different. the se-r has electronically controlled valve body while the 1.6 is completely hydraulically controlled, which isn't that bad really, you don't have to screw with all the elctronics!

I'm not saying the dimensions are all the same, just they share a lot of parts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I didn't know that the se-r came with an auto tranny
Yep...mine's an auto actually (wish it was a stick, heh)...it's really not that bad though, I was able to slowly pull away from a spec V on the track (it was a stick) till about 4th gear for him then he left me sitting there but he pulled so cleanly away I question if he wasn't using something else to gain the advantage and I never asked. Only other drawback I've experienced is there is a severe lag when you take off till you hit about 2k rpms then it's like turbo kicks in and the car literally throws you forward...it's funny to see the looks on people faces that get a car length ahead of you then you pass them....most ask if you had nitrous or something, lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
97PocketRocket said:
...then he left me sitting there but he pulled so cleanly away I question if he wasn't using something else to gain the advantage and I never asked...it's funny to see the looks on people faces that get a car length ahead of you then you pass them....most ask if you had nitrous or something, lol.
Sounds like that dang movie again :).

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
there's some guys over on the sr20deforums.com that turboed their auto ser's and have gotten good results. one guy has had his turbo for 8 months now and says he should have used synthetic and a tranny cooler. there's some posts over there that claim the auto tranny can hold up to 200 hp... at the wheels or the ground it doesn't say... but I was thinking since the two trannies are nearly identical we should be close in terms of reliability.

I'm still getting the shift kit though.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SoMissSentra said:
Too bad its $700. For that much you might as well go junkyard raiding and get a manual.
indeed. it seems the cheap way out is out of commission. f a q:(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts