Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to the board, so i just wanted to say hi. I recently purchased a 97 200sx se with an automatic, and i love it so. It is my first car, and i started looking around for mods for it, and found this board.

My question is this, When I am in drive, the slightest bump will send it into nutral. The same thing with the 1st and 2nd gears. I dont even have to push the button and i can shift gears. Rather annoying when you accadently go to nutral and about 7000 rpm. Is this normal? If not, i still think i have some warrenty from the dealership to get it fixed.

Secondly, I am getting a weird noise upon breaking. I only notice this in the first 5 minutes or so of driving. It makes wha wha wha sound that kinda seems to come from the wheel area.

Thanks for any help you are able to give me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Welcome to the board. :)

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, the shifter on the automatic is designed to be able to switch between D and N by just a simple move of the shfiter. To shift from D or N to any other gear requires a button push, and shifting anywhere from P requires a button push and depressing the brake pedal.

Did the dealer replace the brakes before you bought it? That would rule out the brakes themselves just being bad. If so, the only thing I can think of is that when the car is cold and you begin driving, the pads and rotor have to heat up to normal operating temperature to run optimally (they're designed to run best when they're rather hot), and since they're still cold, they make noise. My accessory belts squeal for the first twenty seconds or so after I start my car and it begins to warm up. That's normal on cars with every day wear and tear on them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Well, I could slightly bump it with my hand and it would change gears. I guess that would depend on what kind of bump it was. In the road, or with your hand. :) I was assuming from his hand, especially since he said it does the same thing going from 1 to N. That's a long way to go from a slight bump in the road.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sounds like your shifter cable is out of adjustment. Very simple fix.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help. Yes it hasnt moved during a bump in the road, at least yet. I dont know if how long the warrenty lasts, or if it would cover the brakes. I live in texas, so its never really cold.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
393 Posts
the brake thing could be warped rotors...do you feel a pulsation in your brake pedal when you depress it? the shifter should be able to "easily" click into N from D... not so much as if you just lightly brush it, it'll go in.. but if you give it a nice, easy tap or something it should go in and is normal... as far as shifting from D to 2, that should not happen at all, unless you depress the button...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts