Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Respek Knuckles
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem is the when ever my car is in park its almost impossible to take it out of park.

my car starts ups great my car when i get it out of park it rides good too. well good as a car with 180k on it.

any one have any clues.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Anybody know how the brake/park mechanism work, cause that sound like what is happening. I have no idea how it works due to the fact that all of my cars are manual.

·
wont go any faster?
475 Posts
yeah i dunno how it works might want to check the fsm but it sounds like that ^^^posted about the break/park i took teh consol around my shifter off and its too complicated but i dont have that automatic sold that car for one with a stick

·
Registered
78 Posts
In a typical auto, there is a thing called a "Pawl" (I believe). What it does to "park" the car is it jams the end of it into the flexplate (Autos don't have flywheels they have flexplates). While this is a good way to park the car, if you were to say, park on a hill. You drive upwards, hold your foot on the brake, set it into park, and then what happens? The car rolls back a few inches for the paul to catch. The problem now is the pawl is sufficiently jammed into the flexplate teeth and a real b***h to get it out of gear. Sometimes so bad that you need to get out, and push the car up the hill while a person inside yanks on the gear lever.

The best way to avoid this, is to use the e-brake FIRST, and then allow the car to settle. Then use the park.

*** Caution *** I have to say this because I used to live in cold a** michigan where everything you don't use rusts, so.... If you have never used your e-brake, and you live in an area that cars rust, DON'T try to use the ebrake. (What will happen is you will likely be able to set the e-brake, but not be able to release it)

If you are having problems pulling it out of park on level surfaces, then I suspect the pawl is messed up. I am not sure if you can get to it by dropping the tranny pan

·
Registered
450 Posts
Along those lines ^, you may need to clean and adjust the rear brakes to get the ebrake to keep the car from rolling and getting the pawl stuck/jammed. I was only having a slight problem with this, since the ebrake would slip. I had new shoes put on, and they did not adjust them. I could tell, since there was a lot of slack when I tried to pull up the ebrake lever. I adjusted them, and this is no longer a problem.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i have heard about this, what happens is when you put it in park and let it roll back onto the gears the gears wear into a "hook shape" so when you pull it out they grab alittle and its quite hard to get out. like mentiond before (this is what i doo as well) when you stop i put my car in nutral (foot still on brake) and pull the e-brake, then i put it in park. i accully never use the park other than to get my key out lol, its all in the e-brake. this will also allow you to get out of park since it never really engadges. hope this helps.
edit: after reading the before posts alittle better it sounds like my drivers ed teacher really dumbed his explination down lol.

·
Respek Knuckles
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there any way to modify it to get rid of that gay button. cuz putting the ebrake doesnt help

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
button? the shift lock button? i wouldnt think so :confused: so your saying that if you put your car is nutral with your foot still on the brake...yank the e-brake...then put it in park and take your foot firmly off the brake pedal it will still do this!? that just shouldnt be.

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
1.6pete said:
button? the shift lock button? i wouldnt think so :confused: so your saying that if you put your car is nutral with your foot still on the brake...yank the e-brake...then put it in park and take your foot firmly off the brake pedal it will still do this!? that just shouldnt be.
I was thinking the same thing. If that is the case then there is something wrong with the car that needs to be corrected.

Mitch

·
Respek Knuckles
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a/t shift lock system. might be the problem pg 141-151 of the AT.pdf in the fsm

·
OT's E-Referee
904 Posts
krylonkoopa said:
a/t shift lock system. might be the problem pg 141-151 of the AT.pdf in the fsm
are you talking about what keeps you from taking the key out if it's not in park?

Mitch

·
Respek Knuckles
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no im talking about the thing that keeps my car stuck in park unless i have the key in the on position and the brake pressed down. i think its the solinoid since i can get it in gear if i wiggle it hard as hell while pressing the button. between page 141 and 151 on the at.pdf of the fsm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts