Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i,m kinda new here and was wondering if anyone could help me out.
I'm getting a 92 240sx coupe with power everything friday and it has a tranny problem. The guy said he dropped the pan and nothing appeared to be wrong but the car wouldnt move ( it would crank and run fine), and then went on to say it was the torque converter or the pump. I don't know what pump he speakes of? Does anybody have any info on this?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,128 Posts
There's an internal oil pump at the front of the tranny which pumps the ATF throughout the tranny and the oil cooler.

First thing to check is that the ATF level is at the full mark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aight cool if that is good (i guess i'll check it tomarrow, if i can). If that is good then what else could it be?

·
Tune it
504 Posts
Thats funny. he says its the converter or the pump but when he dropped the pan it looked good. there would be fine metallic material if the pump or converter went out. Check ATF fluid level with car running and if thats good try low, 2nd, or reverse instead of drive. If nothing works then you need to go to the junkyard or some shop that does SR swaps all the time and get another auto tranny and torque converter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats funny. he says its the converter or the pump but when he dropped the pan it looked good. there would be fine metallic material if the pump or converter went out. Check ATF fluid level with car running and if thats good try low, 2nd, or reverse instead of drive. If nothing works then you need to go to the junkyard or some shop that does SR swaps all the time and get another auto tranny and torque converter.
You know know that i think of it the guy said he had eye surgery like a couple of weeks ago and that he was almost blind so... I know all of this sounds kinda shady on the guys part but iono i'll figure out tomarrow.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Also if the car was towed over 30miles or over 30mph in neutral without the motor running it will burn up the trani. The fluild should have a funky burned smell to it..I just rebuilt my 92 vert because of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts