Nissan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem and I didn't get a hit with a search. My shifter is hard to get into Park most of the time. The problem this causes is that it wont start so I have to shift into Neutral to get it to start. Now I'm having problems getting it to start in Neutral unless I wiggle the shifter. The cable and shifter seem to be okay because the shifter works freely if you unhook the cable at the transmission. The lockout switch releases when the shifter goes into position correctly.

I think this gets me down to the transmission. Anyone have this problem and know what I need to check? Am I missing something simple?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A liberal dose of WD-40 on the transmission linkage seems to have improved the situation quite a bit.

I now remember a similar problem I had years ago. The seal where the shift linkage went into the transmission had gotten old and allowed enough moisture in to cause corrosion and the shaft would bind up. Fixed it with WD-40 then too. I guess it's true, if it should move and doesn't; spray it with WD-40. If it does move and shouldn't, use duct tape.:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts