Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to swap the tranny? I hace an Automatic one but would like to put in a manual.

·
just rattle can it
453 Posts
Replacing the transmission is just a matter of bolting the new one and getting your hands on a flywheel. The hard part is installing a clutch pedal and re-working the center consol for the manual. You'll also need the manual ECU and perhaps a tach if you dont already have one. You'll need an engine hoist, some jackstands, and a few tools handy though. It's a good weekend job for someone with some experience.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BeEleven said:
Replacing the transmission is just a matter of bolting the new one and getting your hands on a flywheel. The hard part is installing a clutch pedal and re-working the center consol for the manual. You'll also need the manual ECU and perhaps a tach if you dont already have one. You'll need an engine hoist, some jackstands, and a few tools handy though. It's a good weekend job for someone with some experience.
The engine is carbed so no problem with the ecu since i dont have one.
So if i get a flyweel you say the flywheel will bolt on the engine with no trouble?
If the hard part is the console and the clutch pedal i think its not a hard work.
Here almost every car is Manual so its pretty easy to get a flywheel and clutch pedal, shift stick... etc.
I already have a tach, i installed one from an NX100
I also am having an oil leak between tha trans and the engine, so il get both things at once.

·
just rattle can it
453 Posts
You'll need a flywheel, flywheel bolts, a clutch, and pressure plate...and of course, the transmission. I'm 99% sure that the flywheel will bolt straight up to the end of your crankshaft. After that, it's just a matter of bolting the tranny on. You may want to keep the bolts from the donor car incase the casting of the manual tranny requires different lengthed bolts than the ones on your car.

You do have an ECU, by the way (unless you removed it yourself)....it helps regulate shift points on the auto transmission among other things and also has a neutral safety switch built in. Your car wont start unless it's in N or P, right? If you want the car to start with the manual tranny, you'll have to swap in the manual ECU and install a nuetral safety switch, or find a way to bypass the automatic ECU.

I've never done this personally, but i would assume that's how it goes. Search around and see if someone's done it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
console is a snap, just snag the 5 speed console and bust out the saw zawl for any excess trim or sheet metal in the way, the clutch pedals can be a bitch though, never did one on a sentra but did do one on a 240 and it was a bit of a pain, i would do that up on jacks too so u can kneel on the ground easier annnd u might have to take the seat out for a lil more work room

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
make sure you get also the backplate from the manual donor ... the center shifting stuff is pretty easy (4 rivet to drill off).. also need the rear engine mount and tranny side chassis mount thats bolted to the frame.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts