Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo Chris;

I figured I would post this in Mofo section so that every single person doesnt pipe in an opinion that makes no sense. As opposed to AIM, this thread is saved and I doubt anyone cares about a single thread.

Me and Jim are working on expanding. One of the big things we have been doing is increasing effeciency. We identified our slowest task in cleaning dirty leather, as we use a Lexol consumer product followed by a protectant/shine. What will speed up this area, as most of our customers have leather?

Another is dirty wheels. We simply plan to resolve that with a slightly aggressive cleaner and relatively higher pressure washing.

I have been using Meguiars Medallion for a bit and I am happy with it. IMO the shine is almost that of a Carnauba, although not as deep. I understand it is a partial polymer seal and I am concerned about using this on European finishes as I have only used it on American and Japanese. I have constantly heard polymer seals and Euro finishes dont mix very well. I have always used Carnauba on European finishes and have liked the results, but the Medallion last significantly longer. Any experience with Euro finishes and polymer seals? If not, what all around wax would you reccomend for customers? I have also liked the Meguiar's High-Tech Yellow Wax for looks and lasts.

We are changing some. We are working towards mobility as we can get everything we need for an on site detailing into 4 boxes and a bag of towels. We also plan to buy a tent (well a pavilion thing) to allow us to wax in the sun. I have proposed the idea of running teams of 4 people, for 2 cars. Two guys would work the interior on one, and two guys would work the exterior on another. Eventually the teams would exchange cars. The other idea would be having people inside working the interior while another team works the exterior...in theory this is a great idea but people would die from the heat and fumes so I gave up on it.

So I am claiming this the offocial thread;
Zac

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
we use blue coral wax's exclusively.. honestly i cant stand them.. they are liquid wax's put on by a dual action orbital...

while i like the DA itself.. the quality along with the longevity concern me...

i use vinylex on all vinyl rubber and plastic, as well as tires.... we are experimenting on outside trim with good results. we use lexol on lether, warm water, stiff brush in cleaner, blow out with air, massage in conditioner, blow out... i also use air to blow out the vinylex...

on tough dirty leather i use an all purpouse cleaner(ours is made in hous, but any should do) and make sure you lexol condition after to keep the hide from drying out! you can also but leather care plus(i think thats what its called) by Lifter1, good foaming leather cleaner...

for wheels we make our own cleaner, but at home i use a product called cyclone 1 all purpouse super cleaner... on wheels i use it straight(engines too) you can use it as a spot cleaner on bodies of cars if needed, but dilute it first... i dont know where to find it anymore... i got it at a local bike shop.. the chemicals website hollander1.com is no longer around...

this is my detailing process.. 1st wash the exterior of the car quickly, then...

Interior
1st i do a quick but thourouh vacuum, not perfect, but getting all major items up.. i then spray my all purpous cleaner on the carpet& seats, then agitate it with a rotary brush hooked up to compressed air..

I then spray all vinyl rubber and plastic with vinylex, letting it sit on built up stains, i scrub that in with a bug sponge
i use a small loose haired brush to get in the vents as well as the cracks and crevices... next i blow out all the excess vinylex with a clean towel and compressed air, concentrating on all the cracks and crevices as well as vents and guages... vinylex is water bvased so it will evaporate over time, i blow it directly into the vents, it causes no harm.. after all the surfaces are traeted i clean and condition leather as shown above... the we use a thermaxc/therminator
hot water extractor to shampoo the carpets(remember the cleaner was previously applied)... then a THOUROUGH vac with a fine crevice tool, brush the carpets to help them dry and keep from matting and polish all inside glass... if needes i stam clean the headliner with a euro steamer(EXPENSIVE MACHINE) b4 the windows...

once the inside is done we close all doors and start on outside.

outside

we dress all exteriour trim and molding with a silicone based dressing(thougfh we are trying out vinylex for this) we then apply wax using the DA, after full application we let the wax set while touching up any molding sthat need to be blended together(esp on lots of moldings like xterras, or escapes, jeep greand cheroees too!) we then polish all outside glass, buff up chrome and then remove wax... touch up with a aerosol wax like reflections, though meguires touch up would work as well... we apply a tar based undercoating to the 4 wheelwells with a compressed air applicator, the touch up the wheel well lips with a hand buffing creme. If the car needs buffing we do that to start the exterior..

that is my basic detail, 120-180 bucks depending on buff, headliner etc...

you would need as a bare minimum, compressed air, lots of vinylex, lexol if needed, towels, brushes air tools, a prtable shampooer and DA's if you choose(or do it by hand) 4 boxes should be more then enough besides the shampooer(i cant see how you do that portable, let me know)

any other questions?

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have compensated for now compressed air with simple paint brushes of different densities and widths. Sometimes we have actually removed parts of the console because it is easier to remove it and clean it. I would like to have compressed air for buffing and as you stated, but right now it is not an option simply based on price.

We generally will wash the exterior, quick but thorough with a mild Meguiars wash as it removes most dirt and is very safe. Anything such as tar, sap, glue, adhesives, etc we use Gliptone Emerald Clean, which has been a savior for us. We have also used it on tough wheels. It is a helluva degreaser. We also wash the wheels off, which is another area that needs to have time cut down on.

We then use a vac to do the interior intially, this is not a professional grade vac which is another area that needs to be updated soon. We then clean the leather and clean the dash, shampoo the carpets if need be (we use the Bissel Little Green, which is inexpensive yet highly effective although the shampooer of what you mentioned is a future dream. Combined with Prestone cleaners, this little thing can get out 95% of stains and is very mobil with a built in water heater. I am also eager to try Gliptone Redstuff on carpets, as it is supposedly safe and effective.) After that we apply a vinyl treatment which has generally been Meguiars to the dash and plastics, shine leather with Lexol or Meguiars (once the dash is clean, this process takes less than 10 minutes combined as we are simply running over the already clean surfaces). Then, we apply Rain X Anti-Fog to the interior windows, then clean the windows with a Rain X cleaner, as it is ammonia free and most of our clients have tinted windows. Our final part is putting the removable carpets back in and most specefically applying our 'New Car Smell', which most customers seem to love.

Then we work the outside. Depending on the condition of the exterior, we may need to go over problem spots again. Generally, we do not. If too many minor scratches exists, we will use a light cleaner such as Scratch X. If heavier scratches exists, we then fox with something a bit more rough, such as Swiril Mark Remover. After buffing that in and polishing, we do the wax which has been generally Gold Class and Yellow Tech for Euro finishese. We do a final touch up with Meguiars mist a wipe (this crap is good and cheap when bought in balk). Moving on, we will use a wheel shine (we started using a Turtle Wax spray as it goes far, seems to hold up decently well, is cheap, and doesnt streak). We will use a shiner for any other exterior plastic trim, apply Rain X to the exterior windows, clean the windows with a cleaner and generally that is it.

As far as being mobile, we do require access to a hose and a power outlet. The 4 boxes we have house: a full box of chemicals and cleaners; a box of windshield washer fluid, shampoo, the Little Green, a No Parking Sign that we found on the ground; a box containing the vacuum and extension cords and a nylon hose; a box holding a small tool binder, and a few hundred rags. I also carry a detailers case on me that has all the essentials ready to be used at a moments notice. We can do a general job on site, but we still have to compensate with longer human work until we grow to where we can afford better materials.

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
you guts need a power imnverter and a 2 gallon copressed air tank... whole pkg like 300 bucks, that way you wouldnt need an outlet, just a car's 12 volt adapter and a portable air tank to run tools,

i forgot about the mini green, its good...

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Ok blank/Nik I need a good vinyl/plastic dressing that I can buy at a local auto parts store or store that is good. I tried some new turtle wax shit, but it sucks teh ass. And I dont have the hook up for blue corral shit anymore since I havent worked at the car wash for many years now.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure if Vinylex is readily available, but Meguiars Endurance is, and it lasts long and isnt very greasy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts