Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was jsut wondering what people have used to make the hole bigger in the engine compartment for the CAI pipe to go through.. I just made a CAI and I need to make the hole larger.. but I wanted to see what everyone used first.. anything info would help

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
isnt there like some metal ring to allow you to have a "conversion". So instead of drilling a hole, can you "put" the piece on and then putthe CAI Tube on the end?

I do not have a CAI, but ive seen em..... so dont use my statements.. just as a possible reference.

Is there like a (male/female connector) ??

·
Team Serious
2,133 Posts
look i did it the hard way.... i took a power drill and drilled little holes all around the opening and pushed the metal down....
i mean it worked for me....
being that i didn't have the right tools

·
Registered
466 Posts
Roto-zip would be the tool of choice!

·
Registered
346 Posts
its easy

its easy guys.......just take the stencil that comes with the intake (the outline of how big the hole is supposed to be and place it over the hole....trace and use a drimmel tool to slowly inlarge the hole......it will be nice and clean.......Peace Out!

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I used a cutoff wheel on a dremel to do mine in the XE. Next time I'm going to use a hole saw. What makes it tough, is that to the left side of the OEM hole, is right where a vertical piece of sheetmetal makes a bend and is tack welded to the lip of the hole on the underside that you can't see. I'm going to make sure what I can and can't do so I don't oust myself from being able to compete in certain AutoX classes. So if you've got race plans, be carefull what you hack into. I'd say use a hole saw and start the hole from the bottom side, so you can keep it tight to that vertical metal without cutting into it. It'll be tough to start it since the pilot bit of the hole saw won't be touching anything, the drill will want to walk on you, but once you get a little groove cut into the metal it'll be clear sailing from there, and it'll take a lot less time and look nicer than other methods. I'd buy a roll of that black edging from JC Whitney, to slip over the metal's edge, keep it from rusting and the CAI pipe won't vibrate against it so much.

·
Registered
124 Posts
used a jigsaw to cut mine

jr

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dremel with the Fiberglass wheel..

·
Nissan Freak
462 Posts
i used a drill with the round 3" hole cutter at the ends
made a perfect hole and looks proffesional

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you're lucky to know any electricians, they should have a sheet metal knock out tools in various sizes including 3". An electrician would use em for making holes in electrical panels in order to attach various size conduits. Makes perfect circles with clean edges. All you need is a wrench to turn the bolt. Just ask the guy how they work. It's very simple. I'm lucky my dad has all that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts