Nissan Forum banner

ATF LEAK, NEED ADVICE!!!

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Christian_C 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all:

My sentra 99 (85K) is leaking ATF, it started very slowly but yesterday it left a nice puddle in the parking spot. I jacked it up to locate where the ATF was coming from and I saw this:

The protection bar that goes just underneath the joint between the axle (passenger's side axle) and the transmission was wet with ATF.

Also I don't know if its just a coincidence but I replaced my front crankshaft seal and belts 10 days ago. The power steering belt cries sometimes after the change, so I might need to tighten it up a little bit more. I don't know if this can be related to the ATF leak.

Thanks for your input!!

#4 ·
sounds like the axle seal to me
good luck....

#6 ·
yes and that means draining the transmission or oil will run out over you and the ground.
download the Factory Service Manual (FSM) at phatg20.net

#8 ·
Ohh it's gonna be a pain, I replaced thaat axle abot 10K mi ago. The good thing is know how to remove the axle.

I've been putting ATF for high mileage cars from valvoline to to keep the level normal, gonna give it a couple of days to see if that works...

So there are two seals? any specific name when going to the dealer?

thanks for the input!

#9 ·
yeah its the output shaft seals for the tranny you have. be sure to get the tranny number when you go to get the seals. i know oem is better but i've always used aftermarket seals to save cash. be sure to lube the seals before instilling.

#10 ·
ATF leak fixed!!

Got the seal from the Dealer for 10 bucks. It wasn't actually that bad, took me like 2 hours and I saved a bunch of money that I rather spend in cool stuff!!

The removal of the old seal was easy just grabbed it with pliers. When inserting the new one it was hard to push in, so pushed it in as much as I could and then just pushed it in with the actual axle when I mounted it back. Drove the car a few miles parked it, and place a magazine under the transmission, left it overnight and this morning ZERO drops of ATF!!!

Thanks for all the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.