Nissan Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Joe's Garage is written above my garage door and my WiFi network is called Inca Roads (my favourite song of all time). In the car my phone is listed as Cosmic Debris.
I've got about 20 Zappa records. I saw him live in 1976 at the huge expense of $5.50, I still have the ticket stub. You could say I'm a big fan.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
definitely no snow here in Vancouver....got sunny and high near 10C. .....and even better that sundown is at 5:50pm. Gives me a chance to sweep and remove Husky brown landmines in the front yard of .
  • And pickup/bag garbage front and back that lazy people toss .....since the pandemic, sure has been a lot more selfish jerks tossing facemasks, wrappers, bottles , junk.
  • The News reported that a lot of cities in north america, including Vancouver, have more aggressive/risky driving incidents then in the past. Like....anything goes/screw you-mentality.
  • How about where you guys live? any of you guys notice more horrible drivers then pre-March 2020? Speeders, Drag Racers Behaving Badly in Pandemic, Tempted by Empty Streets

·
Registered
566 Posts
How about where you guys live? any of you guys notice more horrible drivers then pre-March 2020? Speeders, Drag Racers Behaving Badly in Pandemic, Tempted by Empty Streets
Of course. People are frustrated. Some take it out by petitioning to sack their governor, others by being jackasses on the road. Some number of them will just pull the trigger, on themselves or someone else. It's unavoidable except in Florida, where the government seems to have realized that all the COVID restrictions defy human nature. That is, even if they weren't already scientifically vacuous, which they are.

Here's a simple rule that all governments would do well to remember: People as individuals are smart and rarely panic unnecessarily. People in mobs, including the Twitter Mob, are easily panicked and are always both stupid and dangerous. That's how we got here over a stupid disease that will, at the very worst, kill 3 in 100 people.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Of course. People are frustrated. Some take it out by petitioning to sack their governor, others by being jackasses on the road. Some number of them will just pull the trigger, on themselves or someone else. It's unavoidable except in Florida, where the government seems to have realized that all the COVID restrictions defy human nature. That is, even if they weren't already scientifically vacuous, which they are.

Here's a simple rule that all governments would do well to remember: People as individuals are smart and rarely panic unnecessarily. People in mobs, including the Twitter Mob, are easily panicked and are always both stupid and dangerous. That's how we got here over a stupid disease that will, at the very worst, kill 3 in 100 people.
People as individuals are not smart. They are selfish and ignorant. What if the 3 in 100 happen to be your spouse and 2 children? Is it still just a stupid disease. If it was allowed to run rampant, far more than 3 in 100 would likely die. Perhaps that would be a good thing. The planet Earth is going down the shitter :poop:because of human activity. Get rid of a few billion and the world would be a better place. Just make sure the people who die are not related to me.:confused:
How did a thread about car exhaust drift so far off topic. I'm done and will not be checking in on this thread again.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,152 Posts
VStar I don't think you should make a virtue of scientific ignorance, nor should you minimize the pain and loss far too many others have experienced. Other countries and societies have handled it way better. Denial and wishful thinking have played a huge role in the US Covid response. The effects on public health are just starting to become evident.

The above is meant to educate not to cause insult. As for getting rid of a few billion of us to give the planet a break, maybe we should ponder the fact that energy and resource usage of the roughly 400 million Americans and Canadians is probably equal to that used by the poorest 3 billion or so. Would it be acceptable to say that the world would be better off if we all disappeared? There are better ways of thinking about how to improve human and all life on the planet. Other than offering others up for sacrifice, the question is what are you willing to do to improve things?

·
Registered
566 Posts
VStar I don't think you should make a virtue of scientific ignorance, nor should you minimize the pain and loss far too many others have experienced. Other countries and societies have handled it way better.
I'm not, but the hypocrisy of not wanting to be one of the 3% and then wanting a "few billion" people to disappear is glaring. As for scientific ignorance, whenever y'all find a way to prevent the Chinese and Indians from building one new coal fired power plant a week, then maybe you can convince me that anything we do on this side of the world will matter. Until then, nothing we do in North America will put the slightest dent in "saving the planet". Try realism, it helps.

·
Registered
566 Posts
PS - Just so you're aware, I'm the guy always telling everyone that the future in automobiles is fuel-cell EV, which unlike plug-in EV's will have a carbon footprint not dependent on a dirty power source. But even there, the abundant source of hydrogen will be "cracked" natural gas, and there should be a major effort to find a clean and economical way to crack it onboard the vehicle so people won't need to fill-up with dangerous H2. I'm not against improvements in the slightest, I'm just adverse to misplaced priorities.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,152 Posts
''Americans make up just 5 percent of the global population, they use 20 percent of its energy, eat 15 percent of its meat, and produce 40 percent of the earth’s garbage.''
Source These Countries Have The Highest Energy Usage Per Person
And Canadians are as bad or worse. We cannot go blaming others and limiting their development so that we get to keep being the biggest consumers in the world. If I flip your argument why should they seek to cut back if the same planetary fate awaits them because the West refuses to limit its own polluting energy production? As things stand per capita energy consumption in the US is 3 times that of China and almost 10 times that of India.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If I flip your argument why should they seek to cut back if the same planetary fate awaits them because the West refuses to limit its own polluting energy production? As things stand per capita energy consumption in the US is 3 times that of China and almost 10 times that of India.
People have been using -- and failing -- with the "set a good example" argument for years. It amounts to appeasement. Leaders like Xi understand power and force and very little else. Neville Chamberlain would have fared as badly with him as he did with Hitler. Turning economic screws with the power of our economies will accomplish something, meaningless self-sacrifice will not.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
just a reminder...let us be kind to each other...even on here. So much negativity in the world lately , pandemic or not.
  • But, we can be friendly and helpful to each other on this forum, to start. :) It is good to debate stuff and chit chat, but sometimes better to just let things be and continue on with something more positive . We ain't gonna solve the world's crisis' on an Xtrail forum. :)
  • Play nice , lol.
    ....Dr. Bonnie is our top Provincial doctor/advisor and has given us great advice on this pandemic and this is her slogan. Often i forget to behave this way and i need a reminder to not be a dick to people.

·
Registered
566 Posts
....Dr. Bonnie is our top Provincial doctor/advisor and has given us great advice on this pandemic and this is her slogan. Often i forget to behave this way and i need a reminder to not be a dick to people.
Well said. Honest debate is often messy (that's what keeps it honest), but my apologies if anyone feels I went overboard. It's merely an issue I feel is being grossly misperceived and mishandled by all of our leaders, so naturally I feel strongly.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
No, you and others are good...but we should move on to the subject which this Nissan forum is about: Giving each other tips and advice and keeping our vehicles running smoothly . :)
  • So having said that, My Xtrail : It is running as Borat would say Very Nice! After in installed the new plastic fantastic PCV valve, all my engine troubles faded away. As you mentioned, i buggered up the sealing part connection of the pcv valve. Had it off twice before in two years, no problem. Fragile little piece of crap. That gross blue -metallic , burnt oil stench smoke dissipated the longer i ran my engine. Started it and went for a drive. No smoke. So clean. Next day, started it twice in 4 hours....nice clean, no stinky blue smoke. Very clean. Park my truck next to a tesla running and you might think both vehicles are EV vehicles. That is how clean my truck is and also how full of beans i am too. :)
  • Now only little thing i need to do is replace my two front amber parking marker bulbs. I noticed one was out. Pulled out the left front marker light and seen the bulb is blown. At least the two amber bulbs are cheap to buy and easy to replace.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts