Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
True, injectors are probably the rarest issue on Nissans in general. For the most part they're all very reliable and we rarely need to replace any, even on very old rides. Tony is just unlucky, or maybe the cleaner he used swelled and popped a seal. I've never used that particular brand so I can't speak for it.
-- or maybe the cleaner he used swelled and popped a seal. .....heyyyyy....maybe if that is the case, a mechanic could order me a new seal and hopefully not the entire injector??THAt be a best case scenario. Unless you know, seal cannot be ordered separately. I need to buy 4 new injectors and the mars rover engineer to fix it or something.
I just started my xtrail, big bluey stinky smoke from the tailpipe. I can replace easy to access parts on most of my vehicles, but fuel injector work? Best left to a pro or i may end up doing some more serious damages $$$$$$

·
Registered
566 Posts
THAt be a best case scenario. Unless you know, seal cannot be ordered separately.
You can get seals, or even complete rebuild kits. Takes special tools to rebuild them, though. The only seals that are easy are the upper and lower ones where they socket into the rail and manifold.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You can get seals, or even complete rebuild kits. Takes special tools to rebuild them, though. The only seals that are easy are the upper and lower ones where they socket into the rail and manifold.
Well...sigh...so i just now pull out two coils and removed the sparkplugs.....fouled and dirty black oily looking. They were previously bone dry and normal yesterday Before i started up my Xtrail ( i did the mass air/ throttle clean/ clean air filter box first, never started the vehicle till after all put back together).
  • So with what you and others have mentioned, probably the injector cleaner caused issues and now i have a blown gasket?
  • I have a 2:30pm to 3 pm garage apptt today. Hoping i don't get gouged and under $300 would be nice but i really honestly doubt it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
If there's two then maybe whatever you put in the tank messed up all the injectors, but if it's oily then maybe you broke your PCV valve or somehow messed up the plumbing. Make sure you tell the guy everything you touched.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If there's two then maybe whatever you put in the tank messed up all the injectors, but if it's oily then maybe you broke your PCV valve or somehow messed up the plumbing. Make sure you tell the guy everything you touched.
you know what...i took my pcv valve out yesterday..and it came apart.....it's plastic....i have had it out twice before, no problem. This time it sorta came apart....i was pissed...but i carefully looked at it and it snapped back together....reinstalled and put the hose back on...sat securely.
  • This morning i lift the hood to take out my spark plugs, the hose to pcv valve looks normal/secure......possible the pcv is causing the issues? If i go buy a new one...you think it will stop my blowing smoke issue?
  • Cuz i be happy to go buy a $15-25 pcv valve and see if the oil burns out after starting up.....maybe that would do the trick....

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
$27 plus taxes for the Xtrail pcv valve. ( a well know big auto parts store here in metro vancouver)

·
Registered
566 Posts
you know what...i took my pcv valve out yesterday..and it came apart.....it's plastic....i have had it out twice before, no problem. This time it sorta came apart....i was pissed...but i carefully looked at it and it snapped back together....reinstalled and put the hose back on...sat securely.
Did you lose the spring, or maybe the plunger? Is the plunger maybe not seating anymore? Does the housing leak? :unsure:

Hmmm. Go get a PCV before you do anymore messing around!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Did you lose the spring, or maybe the plunger? Is the plunger maybe not seating anymore? Does the housing leak? :unsure:

Hmmm. Go get a PCV before you do anymore messing around!
i will head off soon...taking care of older senior parents at the moment.
- But in your opinion, if just by replacing the pvc valve, will that clear up the smoke? or is there other damage? also...i guess i need 4 new sparkplugs now, no? or should i just clean them up?

·
Registered
566 Posts
i will head off soon...taking care of older senior parents at the moment. - But in your opinion, if just by replacing the pvc valve, will that clear up the smoke? or is there other damage? also...i guess i need 4 new sparkplugs now, no? or should i just clean them up?
Fresh combustion without oil will un-foul the plugs without any help, so unless it's misfiring after repair, no worries. Right now you've basically turned it into a 2-stroke outboard. I'm a bit surprised at what you said vis the smell, but my nose isn't what it used to be either. If that's the problem, a new valve should cure it straightaway.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Fresh combustion without oil will un-foul the plugs without any help, so unless it's misfiring after repair, no worries. Right now you've basically turned it into a 2-stroke outboard. I'm a bit surprised at what you said vis the smell, but my nose isn't what it used to be either. If that's the problem, a new valve should cure it straightaway.
thanks a lot for your good advice...i hold off on the new spark plugs...as that be about $12-16 per plug! so off i go and get that pcv valve....chat soon.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This story reminds me why one of my favourite sayings is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Reactions: VStar650CL

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Texas needs you! (y) :p
Y'all should pray to a higher power and ask for some help.
  • Pray to Saint Stevie Ray Vaughn . For i am just a simpleton who successfully fixed his screwed up tuneup and pleased as punch i dont have to pay thru the nose for fuel injectors and so on. :)
  • Giddyup.
  • Thanks to you and others for the help. :)

Stevie Ray Vaughan Digital Art - Pride and Joy by Rick Wiles

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a similar but far more intricate pencil drawing of Frank Zappa (an even better guitar player;)) on my wall.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I have a similar but far more intricate pencil drawing of Frank Zappa (an even better guitar player;)) on my wall.
Is this the Zappa drawing you speak of? Zappa once hid an 8 member family of Ethiopian refugees in his nose for over a month. They were once again forced to flee when the camp fire smoke drifted out Zappa's nostril and potentially alerted the authorities to their presence.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not it. I'll try to post one.

·
Registered
371 Posts

My daughter bought me this pencil drawing from the artist when he had a showing at her college about 10 years ago.
P.S. That ghost in the background over his left shoulder is me.

Reactions: tonyvancity
21 - 40 of 59 Posts