Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ran a compression test on my 96 Sentra with 120k miles. All of my readings were between 145 and 155 pounds for all four cylinders. All tests were done after I put a squirt of oil into the spark plug hole. The increase in each cylinder after the squirt of oil was approximately 10# per cylinder. I read in service manual that I should be getting a min of 171 pounds and a max of 199 pounds. Whew! These numbers are very high and I am way out of the ballpark. The car runs great. So.... how close am I to an overhaul?

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
you may be down on power a bit and have a little worse gas mileage but you should be ok driving it...

the compression test results can be thrown off if your battery isn't at full charge so it might be a little low due to that. as long as they're about the same across the board you should be able to drive it ok though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
you may have done this but, make sure your engine is nice and hot when you perfom the compression test. be careful since the sparkplugs are nice toasty
-dave

alkon said:
I just ran a compression test on my 96 Sentra with 120k miles. All of my readings were between 145 and 155 pounds for all four cylinders. All tests were done after I put a squirt of oil into the spark plug hole. The increase in each cylinder after the squirt of oil was approximately 10# per cylinder. I read in service manual that I should be getting a min of 171 pounds and a max of 199 pounds. Whew! These numbers are very high and I am way out of the ballpark. The car runs great. So.... how close am I to an overhaul?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Did you hold the throttle wide open when you checked the compression? If not, the readings are low because a vacuum is created in the intake plenum and it doesn't compress a full charge of air.

Lew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts