Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 sentra E 1.6L intake/header/exhaust ran AWESOME until i lost my license and starting it every other day for about 9 months has taken its toll, what used to be invisible smoke from the exhaust is now thick and white...maybe even grey at times? but its not blue (oil) smoke. Help? please?

Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil looks great on the dipstick and even popping the oil plug for a moment it has not lost but a 1/4 quart in the 9 or so months it has been sitting, water level is great, possibly the low temperature??? but another thing is that it shows no visible smoke until it is revved to 4K or so (have no tach...) then blows thick white kind of smelly smoke

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
god i would feel stupid if this is what it is, but do you think it just needs to be driven? or that its just really cold out (im in oregon) it still roars as good as the day i had intake header exhaust installed

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
91 sentra beat me to it, LoL!!! i will let you guys know...

while im spamming this thread, how hard is it to change timing belt on GA16DE??it has 140K and im not even sure when last belt change was... sigh. i already changed the alternator belt i think it was? and besides space being tight it was pretty simple.

·
Registered
475 Posts
B13Sentra2DR said:
...how hard is it to change timing belt on GA16DE??it has 140K and im not even sure when last belt change was... sigh.
There is no belt, it's an internal chain which usually doesn't require replacement. It's very time consuming and difficult to change the chain. If anything the timing chain guides may be worn which would result in a constant and noticeable rattling / clatter. Replacing them involves the same procedure as replacing the chain itself.

·
Registered
450 Posts
B13Sentra2DR said:
92 sentra E 1.6L intake/header/exhaust ran AWESOME until i lost my license and starting it every other day for about 9 months has taken its toll, what used to be invisible smoke from the exhaust is now thick and white...maybe even grey at times? but its not blue (oil) smoke. Help? please?Chris
Just starting it every other day may be causing carbon build-up, or the excess gas is not being able to burn off. It may be better to just skip the other every day starts, charge the battery occasionally, and then drive it like you stole it once you get you license back. Just try not to get caught. :thumbup: Also, you may want to run some injector cleaner to help clean out all the deposits. My personal favorite is Fuel Power (FP60) http://www.lubecontrol.com/. I am on my second gallon of the FP60. My Sentra has never run better.

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
soooooo...you've gone over 9 months without an oil change? yeah...

as for fuel sytem cleaners, Techron (made by chevron) is my favorite. safe for 02 sensors and does a great job, noticable improvement with one quart.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I bet some unburned fuel has made that oil very nice by now. :)

It would be good to let the car run a long time so the oil is good and warm before you change it. Also, I have heard most wear happens at start-up. Once everything is warmed up, and things are getting better lubrication, then wear is reduced. Your oil may be thinning out by now if unburned gas gets past the rings. So, an oil change is a good idea.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i just meant that it was not burning or leaking, i changed the oil once, gimme a break!!

·
Soggy GloryHoler
792 Posts
well its obvious that its in definate need of a tune up and checking the rings for compression and blow by is usually something you should do anyways.......just try the easy stuff first and see what happens before you go and get the headgasket replaced or whatnot.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sorry, I did not mean the changing the oil suggestion in a bad way. I flooded my car and a lot of gas got into the crankcase. The oil got so thin that the oil pressure light was coming on. With the symptoms you are having, your gas may not be burning completely. What is left over may be working into the crankcase. It is not so much the time, but the current problems/smoke that made me a little concerned your oil may be loosing it ability to lubricate properly. Just didn't want damage to occur because of lack of lubrication. Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I am going to say head gasket because of this:

If you ever overheated at any time or you have not flushed the system at any time or had the proper mixture, then you can overheat and not really know it. The temp guage in Nissans varies 40-60 degrees or more, the needle points in the middle, but its not really reliable unless its pegging hot. Also, the water jackets can corrode, you can get hot spots in the head and block that will warp the head or gasket. This is why its inportant to flush that system at least 30,000 miles or 2 years. Rust and corrosion can plug up those tiny orifices that flow water and if blocked, spells disaster.

Look for the Head gasket, do a cylinder leakdown and radiator leakdown for proper testing.

Chris 92 classic

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
How long did you let your car run when you ran it? There shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary that went wrong, as long as you let it get fully warm.
or that its just really cold out
You said it's cold, are you 100% sure that it's not just a LOT of crap because your car is cold? If you just run your car but never move it then your exhaust doesn't get fully hot either. you might just be seeing a LOT of hot air coming from your cold ass exhaust pipe.
Smell your exhaust and make 100% sure it's smoke and not just steam beause it's sitting there running and not moving. You'll know the smoke smell. In the winter my car will pump out white steam until I DRIVE it for at least 10 minutes and then even sometimes it wont go away. depends on how cold it is.

Thats what it sounds like to me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holy crap guys...... some new information:
I drove my car for about a mile to see how it would do and it ran fckn awesome....

until i started it the next day (today) it is misfiring while idling, i checked the oil HOURS LATER (car is cold as fuck by then) and its about 2 centimeters above the H line on the dipstick, WHILE COLD!?!?! where is it sucking all of this extra crap from? anyone?? there is still coolant in the overflow container... where could it possibly be obtaining all of this new oil?? (or water??!??) the way its idling reminds me of how it idles when one of the spark plug wires comes disconnected from one of the spark plugs so that sounds like an easy fix, but what about the oil? please help, you guys rock

Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if you guys think its my head gasket will you just give it to me straight: could i do it myself without taking the car anywhere (cuz i wont drive it with the oil thats in it now, its sucking it out of nowhere, no fckn way)

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
hmmm what did you oil look like? If you had coolant in it, it would be milky and runny.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for responding fast, i went outside and slowly but surely filled a shotglass about half full of oil just cuz its dark and cold out so i dont want to pull the plug underneath tonight and it has totally normal color and consitency

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
how could i test the radiator fluid for oil content, also?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts