Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
See you in the rear view
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,
Just wanted to ask you guys what you thought about the Apexi Rev\Speed Meter. Also, I was thinking that if I got one, I would mount it in the DVD navigation/storage location above the stereo. Does anybody think it would fit in there and what would need to be done as far as wiring goes? I know these are sort of noob questions but I appreciate any constructive ideas! Thanks a lot everybody,
Fletch

·
Chupa mi Perro
334 Posts
FletchSpecV said:
Hey everybody,
Just wanted to ask you guys what you thought about the Apexi Rev\Speed Meter. Also, I was thinking that if I got one, I would mount it in the DVD navigation/storage location above the stereo. Does anybody think it would fit in there and what would need to be done as far as wiring goes? I know these are sort of noob questions but I appreciate any constructive ideas! Thanks a lot everybody,
Fletch
Seems like a lot of cash to spend on something that has a lot of the same features that come with the car.

·
See you in the rear view
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3-fity said:
Seems like a lot of cash to spend on something that has a lot of the same features that come with the car.
Yeah, I agree with you to a degree and appreciate your opinion. The thing I like about it though is the G-sensor which makes 1/4 mile times more accurate and the ability to view and record your stats on a given run. So, if you are into tracking your car then you can see and record data to make changes. Plus, it's just sort of a neat thing to have. I think it's better than spending money on something like new gauge faces or something like that, at least it will serve a purpose and not just be for looks. What does everyone think about the placement in the DVD nav. spot? Is it doable and how easy would it be to do? Thanks!

·
ZPOOLNZ
1,609 Posts
How about this BUY REAL PERFORMANCE PARTS. Go to the track if you want to know what you run in the 1/4.

·
See you in the rear view
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JAMESZ said:
How about this BUY REAL PERFORMANCE PARTS. Go to the track if you want to know what you run in the 1/4.
Hey, I agree with you and my focus is on performance parts, and when I save up enough money I plan on doing a ton of performance mods to my car. Here's the thing, this thing isn't something that I'll have to change when I supercharge or turbocharge it. Also, what the hell happened to people being helpful and nice on this forum? The reason I post these things isn't to listen to you spout what you think about what else I should buy, it was to see if anyone had any experience with this part and if so what everyone thought.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Hey Fletch, Those things are great.......let me give you list of what it does!
0-60/60-?/ 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 1000 M timing. Whp levels and loss. voltage, trip, g-forces pulled..saves highest of course......LAP TIMES!!!!!!!!! A HUGE ONE IF YOU AUTOCROSS. It does alot more but you will have to visit apexis website at WWW.APEXI-USA.COM

Sure you could spend the money on performance parts. But this thing is WIRED INTO THE CAR!!!! Once you set the weight and tune it--- you don't need to drive allllllllll the way to the track and spend your cash.....you can go out on the local highway....break the law and tune the car at the same time!!!! That thing is a blast! I have one and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Plus you can wire it to cancel out the Speed Limiter!!!!!!!!!!

Don't listen to the other guys....they don't have one so they don't know!
I was sceptical just like them before I got it but it has been a huge help to me since I have had it....plus it looks killer on the dash!!!!!!!

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
IncognitoZ said:
Hey Fletch, Those things are great.......let me give you list of what it does!
0-60/60-?/ 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, 1000 M timing. Whp levels and loss. voltage, trip, g-forces pulled..saves highest of course......LAP TIMES!!!!!!!!! A HUGE ONE IF YOU AUTOCROSS. It does alot more but you will have to visit apexis website at WWW.APEXI-USA.COM

Sure you could spend the money on performance parts. But this thing is WIRED INTO THE CAR!!!! Once you set the weight and tune it--- you don't need to drive allllllllll the way to the track and spend your cash.....you can go out on the local highway....break the law and tune the car at the same time!!!! That thing is a blast! I have one and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

Plus you can wire it to cancel out the Speed Limiter!!!!!!!!!!

Don't listen to the other guys....they don't have one so they don't know!
I was sceptical just like them before I got it but it has been a huge help to me since I have had it....plus it looks killer on the dash!!!!!!!
Spoken like a true ricer. Is that automatic still slipping , Todd? ;)

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
FletchSpecV said:
Hey, I agree with you and my focus is on performance parts, and when I save up enough money I plan on doing a ton of performance mods to my car. Here's the thing, this thing isn't something that I'll have to change when I supercharge or turbocharge it. Also, what the hell happened to people being helpful and nice on this forum? The reason I post these things isn't to listen to you spout what you think about what else I should buy, it was to see if anyone had any experience with this part and if so what everyone thought.
That's just JamesZs 2 cents. Take it with every other spout off you hear on this board, couple grains of salt in a very big ocean. If that's what you want in your car, be my guest. But those things tend to over-rate performance a bit, to make you think your car is better than it actually is. By no means very accurate, your best bet is still a trip to the local dyno and the track.

·
Banned
3 Posts
I dont know who you speak of friend :thumbup:

Its a better tuning tool the going by the seat of your pants and you can make a bunch of passes with it without waiting & waiting & waiting and .....waiting..........at the track....the track is of course going pretty accurate, but hey......who has time to go to the track EVERYTIME you need to see how the car is doing..........Whether or not its inaccurate is yet to be seen.....do you have one...I dont believe you do..........How about next time I go to the track I will see how accurate it is and I will give a report on it. Then we will know: :givebeer:

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
IncognitoZ said:
I dont know who you speak of friend :thumbup:

Its a better tuning tool the going by the seat of your pants and you can make a bunch of passes with it without waiting & waiting & waiting and .....waiting..........at the track....the track is of course going pretty accurate, but hey......who has time to go to the track EVERYTIME you need to see how the car is doing..........Whether or not its inaccurate is yet to be seen.....do you have one...I dont believe you do..........How about next time I go to the track I will see how accurate it is and I will give a report on it. Then we will know: :givebeer:
It's almost impossible for a device like that to give an accurate measurment of a cars performance. If it was battery operated, I'd say throw it into a pillow and see what it says about how much Hp you have and your 0-60 times....... :rolleyes: There's no substitute for having a dyno measure your Hp, or a track time your runs. None. So basically you are telling me a device costing less than $400 is just as accurate as devices costing many 10s of thousands. The true comparison is not even close. The Rev/Speed meter is for those who have money to waste and want some bling on their dash. Plus it looks good matched up with a S-AFC.... ;)

·
Banned
3 Posts
Well "Bling" is an out of date word......You do have a point ....OF COURSE a dyno or a true track time is going to be superior to it, but you cant deny that having it is a commonplace of ignorance. It is a huge help when you are street tuning..........You my very good friend would probably compare it to a AIR FUEL RATIO GAUGE Vs. a Wideband O2 sensor and ratio gauge( on the side of a dyno)

Therefore, having it is much better then NOT having it. If you had one you would know but you dont.....so....................It does look very good paired with the Super air flow converter and the Boost Controller......Which I hope to have soon......why does someone here happen to have both of them...well then I will have to go out on a limb and say that he just may be one clever fellow :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
For the money I'd say a better idea would be to take a trip to the dyno and the track. Establish real baslines for the car and go from there. It's only usefullness I can see would be as a lap timer for autocross, but they usually do that for you anyway. I honestly can't think of a single good reason I'd want one of those on my dash......

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
♣Zen31ZR♣ said:
For the money I'd say a better idea would be to take a trip to the dyno and the track. Establish real baslines for the car and go from there. It's only usefullness I can see would be as a lap timer for autocross, but they usually do that for you anyway. I honestly can't think of a single good reason I'd want one of those on my dash......

You mean you don't like more blinking lights and useless info on numerous screens? :rolleyes:

·
See you in the rear view
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First of all, let me just say that I appreciate some opinions that state reasons for them and some actual feedback on my question, :thumbup: . Second, let me say that my main thrust is always performance. I'm a hella car snob and can't stand ricers, just ask my fiance, I interrupt her to sigh and scoff at ricey cars, haha. That is why I am planning (if it will fit of course) to put it in the DVD navigation screen spot, hidden in the dash. The reason I like it is that it is sort of a fun thing to have that tells you some interesting information about what your car is doing that you don't already have in the car, such as, now I'm assuming here, fairly accurate times for 0-60 times, G forces on the car in autocross and the like. I'm not gonna stick it up on the dash to make my car look tough because (since my car's still under warranty) it remains stock. As soon as I get some money saved up I am planning on suspension, brake and tire upgrades first and then, once the car can control the extra power, I'm gonna start on the engine. So, this is more of an intermediate step to allow me to have some fun with the car in stock form until I can afford my performance mods. Any ways, thanks for the opinions again!

·
Chupa mi Perro
334 Posts
Post some pics of the car man! I am just glad there are some more Z33's on this board. Personally I would spend the $$ on something like a plenum spacer or sway bars. But to each their own. If you get the meter, post some reviews.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
♣AsleepZ♣ said:
You mean you don't like more blinking lights and useless info on numerous screens? :rolleyes:
Nah I don't really need something thats says Danger To Manifold right before it makes my passenger side floor plate fall out....... ;)

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
I will go out to the track with it and see how well it really works then get back to you about it.

I really think you have it all wrong..........other then the functions that are basically the same as a G-Tech, its kind of like looking right into the ecu to see somewhat of whats going on. Not that I ever use the sensor checks and whatnot. Once again I have to argue the point that it is better to have it then to not have it......you should wait till you have seen it in action or actually played around with it to form an opinion. Atleast go to the website to check it out. Apex Integrations stuff isn't ricer junk. It actually does something.
HAHA, MY GF ALWAYS GETS PISSED AT ME WHEN I INTERRUPT HER TO MAKE FUN OF RICERS TOO!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
0341TODD said:
I will go out to the track with it and see how well it really works then get back to you about it.

I really think you have it all wrong..........other then the functions that are basically the same as a G-Tech, its kind of like looking right into the ecu to see somewhat of whats going on. Not that I ever use the sensor checks and whatnot. Once again I have to argue the point that it is better to have it then to not have it......you should wait till you have seen it in action or actually played around with it to form an opinion. Atleast go to the website to check it out. Apex Integrations stuff isn't ricer junk. It actually does something.
HAHA, MY GF ALWAYS GETS PISSED AT ME WHEN I INTERRUPT HER TO MAKE FUN OF RICERS TOO!!!!!!!!
If I did have such a device, it would probably be one of the last things I bought. With both a dyno and a drag strip 10 minutes from me, it's probably is the last thing I need to buy....... ;) I can think of 100 things I'd rather buy first.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts