Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to do a write-up on how to run a fan override switch and I'm hoping someone with a B13 SE-R with an automatic transmission might be able to answer a few questions I have about how their fans operate, and perhaps use a multimeter to check a few things. Please let me know if you can help. Thanks.

B

·
0 Posts
Well, I don't have a multimeter but anything else I can try to check for you.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So you don't have a voltmeter eh? Can you borrow one from someone? Here's the deal, your car's fans have two coils per fan, one for high speed and one for low speed; I assume this is the reason the fans have two coils, the only other reason I can foresee is if the fans sometimes spin the opposite direction, but they'd only need to reverse the polarity to accomplish that, and probably wouldn't use dual coil motors, as it wouldn't be very cost effective, relays are cheap, dual coil motors are not. What I need to verify is that only one coil per fan is used at any given speed, example: Coil A is used during low speed fan operation and Coil B is used during high speed fan operation, and it is never the case that both, coils A and B, are used at the same time. So what I'd need you to do is use a voltmeter to check for voltage at the respective relays during high speed fan operation. I'll double check my FSM tonight to see if I can't figure it out without having you go through the trouble. Thanks for replying.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts