Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting things up for Maxus 2005 to be held in Dallas on June 10-12. I'm trying to drum up interest for a road course event at Texas World Speedway the Friday before the meet.

The event will be Friday, June 10.
Cost will be $180 for FOUR HOURS of track time. 2 run groups, 30 min sessions each, all day long.

I've been told that I need to come up with 30+ cars to make the event happen, and I'm not sure how many Maximas will be willing to do it, so I'm extending the invite to any other Nissans that would like to come.

if you're interested, please email me at [email protected] and let me know... :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Matt93SE said:
I'm setting things up for Maxus 2005 to be held in Dallas on June 10-12. I'm trying to drum up interest for a road course event at Texas World Speedway the Friday before the meet.

The event will be Friday, June 10.
Cost will be $180 for FOUR HOURS of track time. 2 run groups, 30 min sessions each, all day long.

I've been told that I need to come up with 30+ cars to make the event happen, and I'm not sure how many Maximas will be willing to do it, so I'm extending the invite to any other Nissans that would like to come.

if you're interested, please email me at [email protected] and let me know... :)

ok please clarify. How many 30 minute runs do we get? is it four? or as many we can fit into the day?

talk sweet to me and my dad and I will come. Someone needs to show the maximas whats up, and a turbo se-r and a supercharged mini should do it

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that's four hours of track time PER DRIVER.
so 8 sessions of 30 min each, times 2 run groups... 8 hours total of cars on the track, you get 1/2 of it.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
im in as soon as a set date is in place and cost.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
ya i see it now.. medications + lack of sleep makes me miss alotta things.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i just noticed its tws.

THIS PLACE ROXORS.

(this is the one in college station right?)

omgzor i love this place we did it at the se-r convention.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Matt,

I have quite a few comments about this. First, TWS is 200 miles away. People are already traveling, why make it harder on them. You have 2 venues in reasonable distance: TMS and MSR. MSR is pretty easy to book based on schedule. Right now that weekend is open for MSR.

Second, I don't know if you have done any of these events before but there are a lot of things that bother me about this one. Try driving 2 hours at the limit and see how you feel afterwards. If you have novices pushing the limit for 4 hours, there are going to be incidents both from driver fatigue and vehicle failures. You need to be looking at something more entry level with less a good amount of classroom split with more controlled time on the track in smaller run groups.

Here is what I suggest we do instead:

I can talk to MSR and see if I can get a "club day". This is the same thing I talked to Derek and Jeff about last year. The following is from direct correspondence I've had with the management at MSR for other events. A shared "club day" is designed to accomodate 20 to 32 drivers and can be conducted even during a weekend when the the members of MotorSport Ranch occupy the club. Everyone gets some basic instruction and some track time. It is designed to accomodate even drivers who have never been on a track before or have limited experience:

The plan and times can be modified, but generally, a "club day" consists of a
group of car/drivers that come out to visit MotorSport Ranch even during a
member weekend - the minimum number we like to do is 20 cars, the maximum is 32.

There should be one driver per car, no sharing of cars. We allow passengers on the two "lead and follow" sessions, but not in the later sessions. Helmets are not required during the "lead and follow" sessions, but are required for the open sessions later. Each driver and passenger is required to sign the necessary insurance waiver.

Participants arrive before 1:00 p.m.
Beginning at about 1:00 p.m.
Intro and safety meeting
Lead and follow session #1
with pace cars
no helmets required
passengers allowed
Classroom session
Lead and follow session #2
with pace cars
no helmets required
passengers allowed
Classroom session

Beginning at about 5:00 p.m.
Break into two groups
more experienced
less experienced
Run two 25 minute sessions per group
no pace cars
helmets required
no passengers allowed
alternating sessions
up to 20 cars on the track at the same time
passing allowed only on the two longest straights
drive as fast as you feel comfortable with

Someone from the club is usually responsible for dealing with all the
participants. It is highly recommended that the organizer of this event accept a non-refundable deposit (or payment in full) from the interested participants as a firm commitment of their intent to show up.

This program has proven to be a winning combination, is well structured,
safe, and accommodates both the beginner and the more experienced drivers.

There is no problem having many cars and spectators show up, but we must
limit the number of cars participating in the track sessions to 32.

We could easily integrate this into the meet since spectators are welcome. With passengers allowed in the lead and follow groups, a lot of the spectators can still get an opportunity to ride on the track and get the feel of a track event. We get both the covered grid an there is plenty of room for a picnic. The cost is about $100 per person. MotorSport Ranch has a supply of helmets for rent for $10.00 each.

I have organized these events before and I could easily organize another one. I already have entry forms that could be modified. I also have tech forms which MSR will accept to allow people to run. As to previous events, I would set up a day at one of the dealerships 1-2 weeks in advance to pre-tech entries. This could be Trophy, but I will need a bay and a lift for one day. It takes 20-30 minutes to tech each car. This is why we can't tech everyone on the day of the event. For everyones' safety, no cars that can't pass tech will be allowed on the track. We also need to request deposits early to guarantee we will have enough to do the event.

Let me know,

Loren

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
I'll let Matt chime in on this one but from what I understand he has contacted MSR and it wasn't doable.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Loren, I already tried to get MSR. that was my first choice for the event due to location.

It is out, because they do not have enough instructors.. There is a PCA event at TWS on Sat and Sunday, and I have a feeling that many of their instructors will be attending that event.

I am also fully aware of the implications of beginners on the track at TWS. This is basically a last-ditch effort to get an event running.

If you have the pull with Jack Farr, then you might try to contact MSR again and see if they are available for Friday, June 10, but I have called every week for the last two months and was finally told last week that June 12 is not doable because they don't have enough instructors..

so if you can pull some strings with Jack and secure either the 10th or 12th with them, then I'm all for going to MSR.. but at this point, I've talked to them and was told it was not goign to happen.. Since MSR is out, TWS is the only option unless we drive 4 hours north to Hallett.. Hell, I'd even rather go there than MSR, but I doubt that's going to happen either.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Matt93SE said:
I am also fully aware of the implications of beginners on the track at TWS. This is basically a last-ditch effort to get an event running.

tws is fine for beginners, I did great out there and I loved the track.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MSR is much more forgiving for beginners.. if/when they go off, there is TONS of runoff room at MSR. there's only one real place where damage could occur there other than throwing off your alignment from sliding through the dirt.

TWS has a lot of armco barriers and a few concrete walls to deal with. That said, I've gone off 3-4 times at TWS and have never done more than flatspot a set of tires and dent my exhaust when I went airborne and slammed into the ground.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't talked to MSR yet, but this is what I already know. The PCA is having are no events at either TWS or MSR on the weekend of June 10-12. There is nothing listed on the national calender and local Maverick regiion is having an auto-X at Pennington Field on the 12th. Drivers Edge is the weekend before. That weekend is not even an official open "Track Day" at TWS so no one that I've talked to from the PCA here is planning on being there. As and FYI, they aren't the instructors at MSR anyways. They do handle tech and safety themselves.

I'll check with the ranch. I be surprised if I can't work this one with them. The big thing is we need at least 20 people to put down deposits within the next 3 weeks. We can't do this as a last minute hope. You and I are 2, but we still need 18 more. I tried to do this with the G35 club a year ago I couldn't make the minimum. No minimum, no event.

Loren

Matt93SE said:
Loren, I already tried to get MSR. that was my first choice for the event due to location.

It is out, because they do not have enough instructors.. There is a PCA event at TWS on Sat and Sunday, and I have a feeling that many of their instructors will be attending that event.

If you have the pull with Jack Farr, then you might try to contact MSR again and see if they are available for Friday, June 10, but I have called every week for the last two months and was finally told last week that June 12 is not doable because they don't have enough instructors..

so if you can pull some strings with Jack and secure either the 10th or 12th with them, then I'm all for going to MSR.. but at this point, I've talked to them and was told it was not goign to happen.. Since MSR is out, TWS is the only option unless we drive 4 hours north to Hallett.. Hell, I'd even rather go there than MSR, but I doubt that's going to happen either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is the real deal. You only had some of the detail correct. June 11th is the Formula D (drift) event at Reliant Center in Houston. A couple of the MSR instructors are going down to watch. There are no other events scheduled at MSR, so I am pursuing. I will be talking to Kurt tomorrow morning.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Matt, what are your requirements for instructors? I don't have a competition license yet, but I've done eight track events including three days at TWS. Would that suffice? I also know a guy or three with comp licenses that might be coerced into instructing.

Maybe the recent SERCA event can shed some light on travel. Many folks drove or towed from all around the country. We got a block of rooms at the Manor House for a very good rate Thursday night. They even comped us the conference room for our driver meeting. This assured that everyone was rested for Friday. After the event, everyone drove to Austin. Yes, D/FW is farther but not that much farther. You'll have to be out of the facility by 6 PM, so no one should be getting in late. Maybe stop in Waco for a group dinner.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Loren,
MSR is scheduled to be open on the 11-12 for a regular member weekend, and said they would not have enough isntructors available (scheduled off) for a Club Day on Sunday. I did not inquire about Friday at that point, and called Jack Turner at TWS. Jack informed me they are having a PCA event at TWS on the 11-12.

I also confirmed that event with Bruce Gunther who is in charge of the PCA here. (Lone Star Region). I asked if they would be interested in publicizing my Friday event at TWS in their newsletter or some other way of gaining some interest, but they felt it would conflict with their event on Sat and Sunday, so they refused.

James Rogerson is an instructor for many of TWS's events and some of MSR, and has said basically the same thing. it's likely that many of the MSR instructors are scheduled off due to the various events already going on. (drift & PCA).

As far as total number of people attending, It's more likely I will come up with 20 people for $95 to run at MSR on Friday or Sunday that to come up with 35 people at $180 each for TWS on Friday..

I have a few others on various forums interested in going (couple members of the Z Club of Houston), and a few others that have gotten word and emailed me.
I'm guessing about 6-8 people from there.
the rest will be made up of you, me, bahern (hopefully), and the rest of the maxima.org members who are interested in going.
i'm sure I can come up with 20 people between all of them, but I'll have a hard time hitting the 35 mark needed to hold the event at TWS.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Matt93SE said:
Loren,
MSR is scheduled to be open on the 11-12 for a regular member weekend, and said they would not have enough isntructors available (scheduled off) for a Club Day on Sunday. I did not inquire about Friday at that point, and called Jack Turner at TWS. Jack informed me they are having a PCA event at TWS on the 11-12.

I also confirmed that event with Bruce Gunther who is in charge of the PCA here. (Lone Star Region). I asked if they would be interested in publicizing my Friday event at TWS in their newsletter or some other way of gaining some interest, but they felt it would conflict with their event on Sat and Sunday, so they refused.

James Rogerson is an instructor for many of TWS's events and some of MSR, and has said basically the same thing. it's likely that many of the MSR instructors are scheduled off due to the various events already going on. (drift & PCA).

As far as total number of people attending, It's more likely I will come up with 20 people for $95 to run at MSR on Friday or Sunday that to come up with 35 people at $180 each for TWS on Friday..

I have a few others on various forums interested in going (couple members of the Z Club of Houston), and a few others that have gotten word and emailed me.
I'm guessing about 6-8 people from there.
the rest will be made up of you, me, bahern (hopefully), and the rest of the maxima.org members who are interested in going.
i'm sure I can come up with 20 people between all of them, but I'll have a hard time hitting the 35 mark needed to hold the event at TWS.
so where have you guys decided on ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts