Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday, March [email protected] Motor Speedway...Panoz Hotlaps infield road course. $95 for 2 full hours of track time (rain or shine, but always subject to change, so call). Driver's meeting 7am-ish. For more info and registration call 817 430 2102...ask for D'Ann. I am planning on being there. Most participants have been porsches and vettes. It's not a race, but you get to test other attributes of your car. It will require a lot more skill than drag racing, but you get to know your car a lot better! Even if you don't run, you can check it out, but it won't be as fun.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
sounds like fun what the requirements though ?

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
hmm i really dont mind about the pads part but tires ? how come ?

(sorry im new to this)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LIUSPEED said:
hmm i really dont mind about the pads part but tires ? how come ?

(sorry im new to this)

It all depends on how you drive your car. If you get going fast enough, you'll need to stop fast enough. If you push your car hard into the turns, you can wear your tires up considerably. No one will expect you to push your car, it's all about enjoying yourself at a level you feel safe at. You can have a spirited run around the course and take the turns enough not to get your tires squeeling, and they'll be just fine.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
chris.. should work more and go autozone and get your nx brakes.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LIUSPEED said:
sounds like fun what the requirements though ?
The main requirements are that you'll need to call and reserve in advance. Past turnouts haven't been so great..so it's best that you let D'Ann know ASAP so they know how many cars to expect. She'll send the tech forms, schedule, and such. Bring your own helmet or else you'll have to rent one of theirs.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
02SunnyB15 said:
Were is this auto X on the 6th that you speak of?
Houston... I'm a few hours south of you guys. :)
I've been to TMS many times for NASCAR races, but never driven the road course there.. Looked at a couple of videos and it looks fun- get to carry lots of speed around the large oval and such..

Main requirements for a road course..
good tires and brakes, car not leaking any fluids, and in the condition that you can beat on it for hours on end and not break anything.
bring a helmet, spare tires, and a second set of GOOD brake pads front and rear. a spare set of front rotors probably wouldn't hurt either if yours are more than a coupl eyears old.

also see my reply on maxima.org for a full list and advice on your first few track days.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=340849

Also read through NPM's articles.. they're running a series on driving events- from drag to auto X to road course stuff. it doesn't get into a lot of detail, but touches on lots of small things that I don't mention. (like being on time and listening to instructors and such)...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This event does not include any parts of the oval, but there has been times where it did, but it costed a little bit more. The infield road course alone is still a lot of fun. Depending on how you're gonna drive your car determines what extra things you'll need. It is not a race. Everyone is out to have fun, and they want you to be able to drive your car home as well. With that in mind, the main thing you would need to do is bleed your brakes before and after the event because they will fade. If you're easy on the car and you're out just to enjoy the line, you'll be fine. :) It's the most track time you'll probably ever get for the money...and you won't have stand in a hot parking lot picking up cones.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wish I could go, I really do. However, I am now wrapping up college and am, well, abit tapped out monetarily. Already had one interview though for a full-time post-graduation job. I really want to go to a full road course run, but no money for such extra parts. I have just been going easy on the Nissan till I graduate, trying not to break anything. OK, I occasionally will feel adventurous and drop a gear and let her fly :) but I try not to much.

Do these happen fairly regularly?

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
They usually happen a couple times a month through various car clubs...

How's the job prospects looking up there? looks to be TONS of stuff in Dallas, but I haven't found shit here in Houston for entry level EE jobs.. been looking for almost two years and haven't had an interview in over a year.. grrrr.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd love to try an event like this, but definitely not in the Altima, lol. I doubt I woulda taken the SpecV either (stock) But, I woulda taken my 200SX SE-R (kyb/eibach/nx2k/jwt mms & clutch/rotas, etc) back in the day if I knew about that place. They are right though, it should eat your your tires and brakes pretty badly, be prepared and keep it safe.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
If you don't drive that hard, it won't eat up components... it's an exponential curve..
drive the car at 70% and your tires will barely wear.. drive at 80% and they'll noticeably wear. drive at 90% and you'll wear down a lot. drive at 100% and replace them after 60 laps, just like a race car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Matt93SE said:
They usually happen a couple times a month through various car clubs...

How's the job prospects looking up there? looks to be TONS of stuff in Dallas, but I haven't found shit here in Houston for entry level EE jobs.. been looking for almost two years and haven't had an interview in over a year.. grrrr.
I just had an interview with Raytheon. Plus I went to my School's career fair, and some people seemed interested in me. If I get lucky I will land a job, but more likely I will probably be working at Wal-Mart for awhile or something, living as humbly as possible to earn an MSEE. But, just thing happy thoughts, huh?

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
Yeah, that's kinda where I am now... thus the reason I'm building car parts for a living.
I had a couple leads while I was still in Tulsa that carried me over to when I got here. After that, I've sent out literally hundreds of resumes without responses... do your best to get something lined up through the school or the career fairs.... that's your best bet to finding a job in this economy.
Of course, dallas is a MUCH MUCH better place to look for EE... I'd say probably 50x as many job listings for EEs in Dallas than Houston.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry fellas...I have a date correction. It's March 12..not 13. I hope that doesn't spoil anything. So if any of you are doing dynos that day in Denton, why not stop at TMS?!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts