Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do any rallying????

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
Rally addict, and I'm from Ottawa too.

TSD rallying, spectate and volunteer at performance events, watch WRC & CARS.

I saw your photo in Autocross - that's MCO SOLO II at Jetform. Have you done any club rally events? Were you the 'other' White Sentra From Lanark Highlands?

I missed SOLO II event 1 for 2002, but I'll be out when we get some rain on that tarmac.

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
Some cheap steel wheels with low end snow tires (Walmart, Canadian Tire) seem to be acceptable in rallycross. The hard compound of these tires last longer than actual good (Blizzak, Yokohama) snow tires and they tend to have a block pattern more suitable to gravel. And if you wreck them, they're only cheap steel wheels with low end snow tires.

It's fun to go out into the woods pretending to be Tommi, but you may also consider doing road rallying. Some of the winter events have pretty challenging driving and the other competitors give you a guage of how you're doing. Get good snows for these though, or you'll be in a ditch.

If you get into this, you may want to consider a decent set of lights for night events. Hella makes some good and affordable lights. I'm running Hella 500 fogs (about $80 US for a kit) in night events and plan on getting a set of 500 driving lights. The fogs help a lot in corners, with a really wide beam. Check local rally regulations for hookup requirements (in Ontario events, all auxillary lights have to have the ability of turning off with the high/low beam switch.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
fcsmotorsports,
Well, I got the wheels and tires. I also have an old set of hella fogs from my 99 and a set of hella driving lights that i took off a used car at work. I guess I need to start practicing!

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fcsmotorsports said:

I saw your photo in Autocross - that's MCO SOLO II at Jetform. Have you done any club rally events? Were you the 'other' White Sentra From Lanark Highlands?

YEP THAT'S ME!!!!

I haven't done any other rallies but I'm definitely going back to autocross this summer. I just need some new tires. I was thinking of getting some used 15" wheels and tires but they're hard to find. Know anywhere to look??? You want RAIN on the autoX course??? My car bounces when it's wet. Not pretty. I like the ground to be dry.

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
Well, I got the wheels and tires. I also have an old set of hella fogs from my 99 and a set of hella driving lights that i took off a used car at work. I guess I need to start practicing!
Hook 'em up! I use a light bar that can be removed so no one walks of with them. It is also set up so more lights can be added without doing anything else to the car. As for cheap mods, you may want to be careful with what you mess with. Some rallycross series may put you in a higher class of cars even if you've only done a few things, and you may not be competitive. You may have a series that only has classes by drive layout (FWD, RWD, AWD) so you'd be OK. I'm keeping the Sentra stock, for both rally cross, and SOLO II. Here are some 'mods' I use or have seen that you may want to consider -
Full Size Spare, Skid plate, Interior light for Navigator, A strip of yellow tape at the centre top of the steering wheel so you know its pointed straight, Overwattage bulbs for your rally lights (if the lenses are glass. Just don't use them in town at night or with oncoming traffic). That's just a few things to start. I'm really at a loss for cheap solutions.

I was thinking of getting some used 15" wheels and tires but they're hard to find. Know anywhere to look???
I'd try Deals for Wheels. Although I haven't personally had a good experience there, they are the cheapest source around, but I don't know what their situation for used stuff is. I've also found out that Arnprior Auto Wreckers has lots of used bits and pieces. Maybe some newer original equipment wheels could be found there. If I decide to get 15" rims this year I'll probably go with Konig Rated R. The price for them seems to be reasonable and they come in white to match the car.

Do you check the MCO Forum? Lots of guys there are more qualified than me to give advice on wheel shopping.

You want RAIN on the autoX course???
Of course, I'm a rally guy through and through and I love the extra slipping and sliding.

That's probably long winded enough. Good Luck guys.

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
RiceBox said:

I was thinking of getting some used 15" wheels and tires but they're hard to find. Know anywhere to look???
If you want cheap got to Walmart. The carry those "hot" oem style steel rims. They weigh a ton but hey, if your gonna beat them to death, why spend lots. They run about $25-45 a rim. They are even painted black!

Or you could head to your local junkyad, find some a wrecked 96 integra and yank the 5 spoke alloy wheels of that. I think they are 15's. Im thinking of doing that for my car.

-Nick

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even the junkyards aren't that cheap, and then I'm going to have to buy tires too. I'm trying to find someone selling used wheels with the tires.

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
sentrastud said:
I got the B12, now i wanna rally it. Where do i get started???

I live in Calgary, Alberta. Anyone know of any rallies/clubs around here?
Try Calgary Sports Car Club to start with. Also CARS and RallyWest.

Originally posted by RiceBox
Even the junkyards aren't that cheap, and then I'm going to have to buy tires too. I'm trying to find someone selling used wheels with the tires.
Did you find any info on MCO? I see you asked about that used set. Any mention of a price?

·
Garage Sultan
1,173 Posts
RiceBox said:
Well, there is always eBay....

fcsmotorsports-> Thanx for the suggestions about rallying.
Are you from Calgary?

-Nick

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fcsmotorsports said:

Did you find any info on MCO? I see you asked about that used set. Any mention of a price?
The seller never called me or e-mailed. Guess he doesn't want to sell them that badly. Too bad I'm interested!!! :mad:

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
Originally posted by sentrastud
Are you from Calgary?
No, Ottawa, but I've checked a lot of sites to do with rallying, so I know where to look.

Originally posted by RiceBox
The seller never called me or e-mailed. Guess he doesn't want to sell them that badly. Too bad I'm interested!!!
Well, good luck with other sources. I'll keep an eye out if you like.

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^^^

Thanks. I really want to get some before the next autoX on the 26th

V

·
0 Posts
Hey, are roll cages required for road rallying? Any good links for those new to rallying?

TIA

·
Hates everyone.
1,921 Posts
velokid,

Edit - I didn't have time to do more earlier.

No cage is needed for TSD (road rally) stuff. If you want to do rallysprint or rallycross a cage or rollbar may be required depending on sanctioning body. Performance rally requires a cage, no exceptions.

Try Specialstage.com, The SCCA & SCCA Chicago.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts