Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious what kind of terrain some of you have been on with your X-Trails.... I am not planning to be an "off roader", going mud bogging and what not, but there are some dicey roads down here in the back country and I am very leery of going on some as I don't want to get into trouble and rip some important piece off! I know there are no skid plates underneath: just that short piece of plastic that doesn't look too promising. And I have the original sized rims and tires. We were driven around on some punishing terrain yesterday by a rancher friend who took four of us in an old Toyota Corolla wagon with 462K on it. I couldn't believe this car!! It was lower to the ground than mine, but he said he has skid plates on it. Anyway, tell me where you have been (or post photos) and what you may have done to your Exxie. >:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Check the Australian X-Trail forums. They have tons of threads on off roading and lots of info on mods.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
2,942 Posts
Good to hear your X trail is obviously fully recovered from its heart transplant... Cannot say that mine has faced anything much tougher than dirt cottage roads with ruts, or the same unplowed in the winter. I have found it really shines for the latter.

As the old corolla shows any car can be used off-road with some added cladding and driving know how, but be aware that it can be a rather expensive sport or hobby. I would not take mine on an old logging road. It's not quite the beast the Xterra is.

I did see a British company that was selling undercladding for both the front and rear of the X Trail for pretty good pricing, but they will not ship to Canada.
Like X-Hale said they get lots of off-road use in Australia, and Russians seem to like giving them a hard time. There are some pretty spectacular videos of what the X can do. However, I suspect there are lots of disasters that never make it to YouTube glory.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The only place i go off road is when i want to turn left and the [email protected]%&$ a$$ h0l$ block the way so i have to wait for the next light.
Often i drive two wheels on the grass and pedal to the metal. A friend of mine doesn't bother anymore he goes over the grass with his ranger 4x4.
You need more agressive tires to get some grip ,even on grass.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input! I don't want to do it as a hobby, but sometimes I sit there wondering should I dare go down that road and being a bit of a chicken, I usually turn around. I am sure my Little Silver Bus is more capable than I give it credit! And driver know-how certainly is a factor... I think even slightly bigger tires with more grip may help a bit. Or, I may just wait till I get something different... I have been admiring xTerras lately. But I keep fixing this one, so may as well keep it for while. Just got in some rear rotors and brake pads for our young mechanic to put on. Maybe he has some ideas for a skid plate.... :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
It may sound ghetto but, I once made a skid plate for a '97 Outback from the back of an old stove. I drilled holes where the existing mounting holes were for the missing plastic skid plate. It wasn't pretty but nobody actually sees it except when it's being worked on up on a hoist.
I go up and down some pretty rough service roads and roads to remote boat launches. I've never had an issue with the X-Trail. Some gnarly tires would be nice but the cost is not justified considering how seldom I do it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts