Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh... I just got the new Crutchfield catalog today, and what do I find? A whole section devoted to cheap ricey crap. Yes, you too can have your very own Altezza taillights! Stand out from the crowd by looking just like everyone else! And remember, in order to completely crap up your ride, be sure to order an APC banner in a clashing color! Two banners for twice the fast and furiousness! Check out this great quote:
Originally advertised by the new Crutchfield Catalog
Show off your great taste in performance parts and accessories. You can put an APC banner on a vehicle's glass or on its body.
Beautiful. Since when does APC equal good taste, especially good taste in performance parts! What, a lovely APC LED exhaust tip counts as a performance part now? Cheap Altezzas are performance parts?

I'm sorry Crutchfield, but I honestly can't take you guys seriously anymore. How can I possibly trust a CD player recommendation when you sell parts from Ractive and APC? Are you going to tell me to buy an Alpine Type-R just because Dom had a couple in The Fast and the Furious?

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Yeah,
There was a huge hype in it for Alpines. The rest I don't mind though because most of their money doesn't come from those people. Although judging by their effort they want some of that money. Smart marketing.
My favorite item was the bazooka subwoofer that looks like a nitrous bottle. I loved that.

Seth

·
Administrator
1,075 Posts
What I find unbelievable about Crutchfield is I made one $20 purchase from them three years ago and I'm still getting their catalog. :)

·
Driver
736 Posts
Scott said:
What I find unbelievable about Crutchfield is I made one $20 purchase from them three years ago and I'm still getting their catalog. :)
Even more unbelievable is that I'm never bought something from them and I've been getting their catalog for about the same amount of time:D

·
Oh, Herro!
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
barnoun said:

Even more unbelievable is that I'm never bought something from them and I've been getting their catalog for about the same amount of time:D
Same here.

I just don't understand how they expect to be taken seriously after this. Sure it's smart marketing, but they're throwing off their more high-end customers, just as they start getting Alpine gear. Crutchfield can either be one to two things, but not both. Either they can be a store where teenagers go to make their rides even more mad phat or whatever, or they can be a serious place where people can ask specific questions about technical details and get knowledgable answers. Now they're selling a sub box from some no-name brand but it has strobes in it so who cares, right? I afraid I'm going to call Crutchfield and say "what do you think of the new Kenwood amp? How's the THD on it?" and they'll say "uhh.. I dunno, but the power light changes colors."
If you ask me, an audio store should be devoted to audio. I don't want it to turn into Stereo King on 82nd where you go in and there's as much rice crap as audio gear. When you ask a salesman about headunits, he'll take you away from Alpine and Clarion and right to Pioneer for the sole reason that Pioneer headunits have a cool display. Now I have nothing against Pioneer or the EL display they use, but when I'm shopping for a CD player that will cost me in excess of $400, I want to talk to someone who isn't impressed by swimming dolphins, but who is impressed by 4.5v preouts, 18dB / octave crossover slopes and digital time correction. Not only that, but I want to talk to someone who knows what all that means not someone who will rattle off a bunch of acronyms like MEHSA and TOPAZ but not know what they mean.
Now I'm sure that if I were to write Crutchfield about my feelings I would get a response like "Our customer service is just as knowledgable as before." - which may very well be true. However, does this signal a shift in the way Crutchfield does things? Are they headed away from serious stuff and more toward entry-level?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
sentrastud said:

Then again, has anyone ever seen Sentra with Altezza's?

-Nick
Yes....and personally, I think it looks good....well....that particular setup...blackout altezzas with the SE center panel...not with the red one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts