Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I just changed nearly every sensor under the hood of this thing and still no improvement in power or fuel economy. Any quick and easy ways to make some power on this motor, other then swapping it out?

1990 Sentra XE 4 door 5speed

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Maybe you could fabricate a cold air intake and get about 3 r 5 hp. Not very noticeable. I THINK you can put a GA16DE header on it. Im not very sure though, somebody is going to have to completely varify that for me. Either way...you wont get much more power out of this thing unless you get NOS and i highly recommend that you dont do that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just feels so slow. I can barely go up hills with out downshifting sometimes multiple gears. Its worse then my old 88 Prelude Carburated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How could it be off, I thought it was a chain?

I thought either a chain was spot on timing or broken, no real inbetween.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
I think he meant check the timing as in using a timing light and adjusting the timing via the distributor.

Something must be wrong, because I have had a 90 and an 89, both with 5 speeds, and neither one of them were slugs, and they both got great gas mileage.

Have you done a complete tune up ? How does the car run temperature wise ? does it seem to run cool or hot ?

Is it possible that your cat could be shot and choking her up ? Idle ok ? at this age you can encounter a lot of gremlins due to loose or cracked vacuum lines. I replaced every last line on my car, should not even cost you $20 to do that.

just some ideas. :rolleyes:

·
Soon to be GA16it
444 Posts
Joro Corona said:
How could it be off, I thought it was a chain?
I thought either a chain was spot on timing or broken, no real inbetween.
Like astreamk1 mentioned, Popkorn was referring to the base ignition timing not the timing between the camshaft opening/closing the valves relative to the position of the pistons. I would also check the ECU for trouble codes if there's any. An ECU diagnostic might help isolate the problem/s.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've noticed alot of the vacuum lines are abit chewed up. I cant hear or see any leaks though.

Runs moderately cool overall. I just did a full tune up, cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, O2 sensor, and air filter. Should I do the fuel filter too?

It idles okay, about as good as ay car with 18ok on the clock. It will pop every once in awhile, but overall good.

There is no rotten smell from the exhaust and my o2 sensor switches fine now that its new so I doubt the cat is bad.

Where should timing be on these cars, like whats spec? I can check the base timing at school next week or something.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
my car was a slug also then i changed my air filter to breath, fuel filter for better fuel flow and coil for spark, and now it rips down the street, breaks second with a nice chirp with my se-r rims on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts