Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a down payment on a Black 03 SE-R today. I was just wondering what kind of problems everyone is having (common and individual). I have heared alot about oil burning. i also know I have heard about grinding gears. Is this true??? I ended up with the SE-R instead of the Protege simply because of the power difference. I have a 02 Protege and it has amazing handling but lacks the ZOOM ZOOM. When I test drove the 03 SpecV I noticed the gears grinding at high RPMs when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. I decided to go with the SE-R because the SpecV's 6 spd Tranny is horrible and the 10 HP gain is from the exhaust. -------LMAO

I know everyone has probably already read the sport compact car review but if not here it is

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0112scc_sentra/

the dyno shows that the Nissan Specified 175HP is actually 141HP and the 180TQ is more like 151TQ. My old Protege was reted at 130HP from Mazda but it only dyno'd at 109HP. It's stupid how they over rate everything, but for the average consumer what you don't know can't hurt. If tehre are any updated dyno's for the 03 model please post. I am interested to see if they found any of the lost power.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i personally think they should force the car companies to use whp instead of crank as crank doesent mean anything to a consumer. Kinda like 9000watts PMPO which is a joke. It is all to deceive the consumer! :mad:

'03 tranny is supposedly much better than the '02 in fact i dont recall anyone on these boards complaining about their '03 although i could be wrong. I hope you didnt hastily pass up the '03 6speed tranny.

what are YOUR thoughts on the 5 speed, i havent heard anything about it.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 6 spd trany just didn't feel right to me. It Felt really cheap. Maybee I'm just trying to convince myself that it's cheap because I'm cheap and I didn't wanna pay the extra $$$.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i bought a se r instead of spec v to save money also. but i test drove the spec v and i didn't like shifting to 6th. i haven't really had any problems wit my car in my 3 months i've had it. but after hearing those problems wit the spec v, i'm glad i got the se r instead.

·
Registered
369 Posts
your comparing two different shifting mechs. the se-r is a direct linkage and the spec v has a cable driven shifter. the cable drive takes time to master. My tranny does not grind, built oct 01:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've had my 03 Spec-V for almost two months, and i haven't had a problem shifting at all..its actually been extremely smooth...i love it

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had my '02 Spec-V for 4 months now, and the 6 speed could definately use some improvement. It feels very notchy, unlike my CRX which feels very natural when shifting. I do also occasionally grind from 2nd to 3rd. But since the wife drives the Nissan every day without grinding, I'll have to chalk it up to just not being used to that particular gearbox. It seems like the 6-speed does not like quick shifts from 2nd to 3rrd gear. Of course adjusting the clutch peddle so it disengages sooner would improve this drasticly. But that could be part driving style as well.

The gear ratios on the 6-speed are just about perfect though! So if they fixed the grinding problem for '03, it should be a real winner. But only time will tell!

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
03SE-R said:
the dyno shows that the Nissan Specified 175HP is actually 141HP and the 180TQ is more like 151TQ. My old Protege was reted at 130HP from Mazda but it only dyno'd at 109HP. It's stupid how they over rate everything, but for the average consumer what you don't know can't hurt.
Actually, if you did a bit of research, and knew a bit more about how the vehicles were rated, you would not have made that statement. A Dyno is rated AT THE WHEELS! While when Nissan states that the SE-R Spec V has 175 horsepower, that is at the FLYWHEEL So there is a drivetrain loss of about 20% which is normal, considering the circumstances...

·
Registered
369 Posts
cortrim1 said:
your comparing two different shifting mechs. the se-r is a direct linkage and the spec v has a cable driven shifter. the cable drive takes time to master. My tranny does not grind, built oct 01:cool:
My bad the se-r and the spec v have cable driven shifters. I just got a good look at a base se-r. Also the shifting problem in the spec's is due to the soft motor mounts I think. I will find out when I fill in my motor mounts;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had my spec V since april, no grinding problems or other wise, the only down sided I have is the first and second gears seem a little short, but this is coming from a person who who ride a rocket all summer, so I am used to first gear running till about seventy

·
Registered
86 Posts
03SE-R said:
I just put a down payment on a Black 03 SE-R today. I was just wondering what kind of problems everyone is having (common and individual). I have heared alot about oil burning. i also know I have heard about grinding gears. Is this true??? I ended up with the SE-R instead of the Protege simply because of the power difference. I have a 02 Protege and it has amazing handling but lacks the ZOOM ZOOM. When I test drove the 03 SpecV I noticed the gears grinding at high RPMs when going from 2nd to 3rd gear. I decided to go with the SE-R because the SpecV's 6 spd Tranny is horrible and the 10 HP gain is from the exhaust. -------LMAO

I know everyone has probably already read the sport compact car review but if not here it is

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0112scc_sentra/

the dyno shows that the Nissan Specified 175HP is actually 141HP and the 180TQ is more like 151TQ. My old Protege was reted at 130HP from Mazda but it only dyno'd at 109HP. It's stupid how they over rate everything, but for the average consumer what you don't know can't hurt. If tehre are any updated dyno's for the 03 model please post. I am interested to see if they found any of the lost power.
I'm probably gonna get raked over the coals for saying this but did you happen to test drive one of the new Mazdaspeed Protege's with the turbo? I love my spec and all but if you were looking for power, the new protege is a little higher up than the spec v. There is a price difference of course. I'm just wondering if you checked it out at all and comared it with the spec v and ser.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts