Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people say that their car feels different with synthetic oil. Is there an actual power increase (0<1 hp most likely) due to lower friction in the engine or is the only benefit increased protection from wear and tear. I'm sure this topic will be highly debated...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Highly debated?!?........anyone here!?...............I use syn oil and does notice a difference. I think anything that keep the engine cooler will keep HP dropping from heat.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
nyit240 said:
Highly debated?!?........anyone here!?...............I use syn oil and does notice a difference. I think anything that keep the engine cooler will keep HP dropping from heat.
it's more for protection from wear. any increase in horsepower (usually like 1-2 shouldn't be perceptible) will be minor. if someone says they dropped like .2 off their times they're probably lying.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did some reading up on it and I found that most websites say that a good quality full synthetic will give you about a 1-3% increase in power, but with a b12 which probably puts out a max of around 65-70 whp 1% of that is about .75 hp, so ya not much would be noticed. I got semi synth at jiffy lube in hopes that the synthetic will help restore my seals functionality and fix the small leak I have. It seems promising so far since my oil leak hasn't gotten any worse...

·
Still moderating..sorta
1,324 Posts
usually an oil leak will get worse with syn oil

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did some heavy research on the matter and found that the majority of mechanics reported that synths can fix leaks over time because they don't dry out seals like conventional oils and can actually add elasticity back into the seal allowing it to do its job again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts