Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any issues that are common with a 2015 or newer Frontier? Like things that will go bad? Is the automatic transmission a CVT type?

Thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
Are there any issues that are common with a 2015 or newer Frontier? Like things that will go bad? Is the automatic transmission a CVT type?

Thanks
Person,

Not really. If there is a pause and jerk on takeoff, check that the ATF level is correct by following the Specific Method in the Frontier Service Manual, or take it to Nissan for them to check the ATF Level.

There are some that buy the Frontier's because they are the Cheapest Truck to buy for the Purpose of Abuseing them in the Mud and/or OffRoad Abuse.

If you see any Scrap's on the underside, Scrap's on the Side's, Loose Steering, Engine Filthy, Mud underneath, or just look's abused or Rough,, DON'T GET IT.

Some drive them in Water above the Rear Axle, which result's in Water getting in the Rear Axle Oil. Look at the Rear Axle Breather to see if it look's ok and the little Breather Cap Wobble's Freely. Even if the Breather Cap look's ok,, if they drove it in Water Above the Rear Axle,, Water could have gotten into the Rear Axle Houseing. Some do a Mod to raise the Rear Axle Vent higher Up,, which mean's that they may have done this to drive through High Water. I personally wouldn't want a Truck that has been driven through Water Higher than the Rear Axle.

It's best to take it to Nissan and let them do thorough Check before buying, or an experience Nissan Mechanic to Check out Stem to Stern. If the Seat's have holes in them and look's otherwise not cared for, the Owner probably didn't care much about takeing good care of the Truck. On the otherhand if the Truck has Seat Cover's, then it may or may not mean that the previous owner tried to take good care of the Truck,, unless the Seat Cover's are hideing Hole's or Tear's in the Seat.

I've got a '13 that I bought New,, and the only issue was low ATF from the Factory that I corrected. Otherwise my '13 so far has been a really good Truck.

If you are going to pull any sort of Utility Trailer, I would recommend getting a V6. I had a '93 4 cylinder Hardbody that I drove for 20 year's prior to the SVV6 '13 and it was an extremely good Truck. I did use it to pull a Utility Trailer sometime's, and it pulled it,, but was lacking in excess Power when pulling the Trailer.

I Personally think that the Frontier's '11 and up are a Very Good Value, and best to buy a New One, because of those that abuse them and then get rid of them after the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. If you can find one that hasn't had any abuse and the Price is Right,, then I think that would be a Good Buy.

The KC 2wd get the best MPG in the V6's. The 4wd's get the Worst and the Crew Cab's are in between. One of the Big Reason's is the Rear Axle Gear Ratio. For example my SVV6 2wd KC has a 2.937 Rear Axle Ratio and My MPG is 20.5 Average over about 50 Fillup's.

Good Luck in Finding Your Next Truck.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Person,

^^^Disregard my post above if you are asking about a 3rd Generation Frontier. Somehow I thought you were asking about a 2nd Generation Frontier like I have, if so my post above applies to a 2nd Generation Frontier.

Regards,

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,403 Posts
Person,

^^^Disregard my post above if you are asking about a 3rd Generation Frontier. Somehow I thought you were asking about a 2nd Generation Frontier like I have, if so my post above applies to a 2nd Generation Frontier.

Regards,
The 3rd Gen Frontier has yet to be released. It should be coming out as a 2020 model using the same frame as the current Frontier in the US.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,403 Posts
The automatic transmission is an RE5R05A, which is a 5-speed automatic transmission. No CVT in the Frontiers, yet, and, hopefully, there never will be! Most of the issues these trucks had were worked out by 2011.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The 3rd Gen Frontier has yet to be released. It should be coming out as a 2020 model using the same frame as the current Frontier in the US.
SMJ,

Thanks for clearing it up for the 3rd Generation.

I for one will be tuned in with Anticipation on how Nissan is going to compete with the other Midsize Pickup's.

I wonder if they'll downsize and go with a 3.5L.

I really don't see the need to change much on the Gen 2's,, but if they must, I hope they come out with something that will blow the sock's off the competition.

Maybe they'll just go a step above, keep the 4.0L, Supercharge it, with a 6 or 7 Speed AT, + Tow Mod, and be able to Tow 8K Lbs. That way they shouldn't have to redesign a whole new engine, keeping the cost's down and be able to outperform and Out Pull all the other Midsizer's. For those that want the KC, Like Me, Give it about 3 more inch's for the knee's and a better rear seat for the rear passenger's, Plus get rid of that Fold Flat Front Passenger Seat. That's stuff for the SUV Crowd, Not for Pickup Truck's IMO.

Regards,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts