Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I basically have a trail as my driveway on which I drive my 1991 HB 2wd pick-up through everyday. I can honestly say that at least two times a week I'd get stuck because only one wheel turns so I'd end up framing out. Is there a way I can make the rear of my truck into a positrack or perhaps swap axles with a 4x4 model to get both tires turning for optimal traction without the excessive wheel hop and price tag? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
201 Posts
save your self some money and ride your brake 50% going threw it...that should give ya almost 50 50 on the back wheels...4x4 trick :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
weld the spider gears is the cheapest, not recommended for street use though. I think you have a C200 rearend which has a diff. cover, there should be a lock-rite locker available for it, otherwise go to a junkyard find a pathy or HB with a posi rearend, normally can get one for around 100 to 125 bucks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting idea smikster. Since my rear brakes are pretty much gone anyways I think I'll try that first. So to clarify, I partially apply the E-brake while I'm driving through my driveway? If that doesn't work, then I'll follow your advice dvdswanson and either weld the gears or get another rear end. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can force a 4x2 vehicle to act similar to a 4x4 on occasion by gently pressing the brake pedal to slow down the wheel that's spinning and transfer energy to the wheel with traction.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would imagine that the Parking brake would work in the same manner, as long as it pulls equally on both rear drums... good trick though.

·
3,553 Posts
You could also attack the problem with a load of gravel and a shovel. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts