Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '91 240sx with auto trans. Problem is it won't shift into overdrive. I run diognostics according to TSM (without consult) and I am not sure that I am inturpiting the signal right. When I go through the proseedure the OD light comes on then blinks 10 times, after a second or two it repeats this by coming on then blinking 10 times. ALL judgement flickers are the same which says that all circuits that can be confirmed by self-diagnosis are ok. Am I reading this right or should I be counting the first light as a "flicker"

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,234 Posts
SimpleMan said:
I have a '91 240sx with auto trans. Problem is it won't shift into overdrive. I run diognostics according to TSM (without consult) and I am not sure that I am inturpiting the signal right. When I go through the proseedure the OD light comes on then blinks 10 times, after a second or two it repeats this by coming on then blinking 10 times. ALL judgement flickers are the same which says that all circuits that can be confirmed by self-diagnosis are ok. Am I reading this right or should I be counting the first light as a "flicker"
The first light is only a start light not a judgement flicker. Getting 10 normal flickers indicates all is OK.

Not going into OD may be caused by the following:
1 - Bad OD switch on the shifter or wiring problem.
2 - TPS bad.
3 - Tranny inhibitor switch bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rogoman said:
The first light is only a start light not a judgement flicker. Getting 10 normal flickers indicates all is OK.

Not going into OD may be caused by the following:
1 - Bad OD switch on the shifter or wiring problem.
2 - TPS bad.
3 - Tranny inhibitor switch bad.

Could someone tell me how to test 1,2,3, above or where the test are located in the TSM? I have tested OD switch and think it is good, also tested the tps and inhibitor (circuits) per TSM and it seems that the voltage readings that I get are all low. TSM says bat voltage on inhibitor circuit and the readings I'm getting are between 8.30 & 9.50. Infact all circuit test preformed at the trans computer yeild lower than bat voltage. Isn't bat voltage supposed to be whatever the battery is testing with the volt meter?

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,234 Posts
SimpleMan said:
Could someone tell me how to test 1,2,3, above or where the test are located in the TSM? I have tested OD switch and think it is good, also tested the tps and inhibitor (circuits) per TSM and it seems that the voltage readings that I get are all low. TSM says bat voltage on inhibitor circuit and the readings I'm getting are between 8.30 & 9.50. Infact all circuit test preformed at the trans computer yeild lower than bat voltage. Isn't bat voltage supposed to be whatever the battery is testing with the volt meter?
If the FSM says that you should have battery voltage at a certain point but instead have something less like you indicated in your posting, then check your grounds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rogoman said:
If the FSM says that you should have battery voltage at a certain point but instead have something less like you indicated in your posting, then check your grounds.

Checked, cleaned, & or replaced all grounds that I could locate. you mentioned the TPS, can you tell me how to test it? My tsm is on my computer and I am having a hard time finding test methods on the actual switches.
Reason I ask about tps is when I start the car it will go dead after only a couple seconds. It will sometimes do this two or three times then will start and idle ok. After I get it to idle if you ease into the throttle it seems to take gas ok but if you punch it, it either gose dead or misses profussly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts