Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is the factory Anti-Theft system adequate enough?

I'm planning on purchasing a remote starter, and was wondering is I should get the remote start/alarm combo, or if I can just get away with the remote starter?

I had a Command Start/Alarm installed into my Honda Accord, and it was a nicely integrated sytem. However my Honda did not have a factory Anti-Theft system.

Thanks

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
ViperZ said:
Is the factory Anti-Theft system adequate enough?

I'm planning on purchasing a remote starter, and was wondering is I should get the remote start/alarm combo, or if I can just get away with the remote starter?

I had a Command Start/Alarm installed into my Honda Accord, and it was a nicely integrated sytem. However my Honda did not have a factory Anti-Theft system.

Thanks
Hey Viper,

This has been discussed before.

Check this thread out:

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=81966

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I had already read that thread, however the Factory security system was not really covered off in that thread.

I'm more questioning how the factory alarm system works, seeing as I have not taken delivery of my truck yet.

Is the factory system adequate as an alarm system?

·
XTRAIL-HOLIC
2,228 Posts
ViperZ said:
Is the factory system adequate as an alarm system?
Depends on the level of experience the thieves have in your location :)

The factory system for my exy seems to work fine for me, but I was more looking for the comfort of the remote starter system as an added accessory.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most times the flashing LED is enough to deter, other times I suppose it is not.

I suppose depending on what I find, I may get an fully intergrated system so I only have to use 1 remote Key fob. Or do they integrate the factory arming functions into your remote starts remote?

Its good to hear others experiences and opinons to what they did, if they went with remote start only, or if they went with a combo system.

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
ViperZ said:
Most times the flashing LED is enough to deter, other times I suppose it is not.

I suppose depending on what I find, I may get an fully intergrated system so I only have to use 1 remote Key fob. Or do they integrate the factory arming functions into your remote starts remote?

Its good to hear others experiences and opinons to what they did, if they went with remote start only, or if they went with a combo system.

Thanks
I had considered this upgrade and decided against it. You can add a remote starter without upgrading the alarm system but then you will need to carry around two remotes. I've got enough stuff to carry around already, thanks. If you want to upgrade the entire alarm system and add the remote at the same time withonly one remote the $ start to flow and I was quoted well over $500 by the time all the required accessories were included. Then there's the matter of the coded key for the remote starter, etc. Put it this way, based on my experience, and myabe others have a better POV, this isn't worth the effort. If anyone knows it'll be Steve though. I think he's got one in his (jeez - he's got everything esle !!) He can surely offer a different opinion. For me it just wasn't worth it. As for the alarm it does the trick but there is one feature I would love to add and that's a chirp when the alarm sets. Apparently this cannot be upgraded. It really needs this IMO.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Considering I paid about $700 fo the combo unit in my Accord, this places me in the ballpark for the X-Trail.

I'm going to have to go around with the truck (once we get it) to see. I do want a universal 2 way remote, rather than carry 2 remotes.

I do want to get one of those transponder kits that does not require the key, however I'll have to see what the shops have here for the X-Trail.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mfreedman said:
As for the alarm it does the trick but there is one feature I would love to add and that's a chirp when the alarm sets. Apparently this cannot be upgraded. It really needs this IMO.
I prefer not a chirp, but a comfirmation flash from the side markers, or other light visable from a distance that the factory system is armed. Does the stock system flash lights when armed?

·
Registered
110 Posts
ViperZ said:
I prefer not a chirp, but a comfirmation flash from the side markers, or other light visable from a distance that the factory system is armed. Does the stock system flash lights when armed?
Yes it does but sometimes you cannot see in bright sunlight and then you listen for the locks to engage - they're not loud enough (to me) so I have to press the lock button three or four times before I'm satisifeid. That's why I like the chirp.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I went to a local car toy store and looked at the Python 571 & Ultra Start XR3560. I wanted to see the Python 881, however they didnot have one in stock.

Python 571 XP, Ultra Start 3560XR

Python 571XP: It is a 2 way remote that uses LEDs with flashing comfirmations. Nice unit, long remote battery life 1/4 mile range. No indicator which door or trunk has been opened..etc that is available on the LCD remotes. Price $711 installed, taxes included

Ultra Start 3560XR: 2 way remote with LCD. Not so crazy about the remote and visual cues. Huge range of 1 mile, comes with secondary 1 way remote. Price $905 installed, taxes included.

I haven't even seen the Python 881, however I still think it's remote is the best of the bunch. I just wish it had a bigger range than 1/4 mile. $905 installed, taxes included. I like the no nosense remote that does not have that goofy colored car. Rather it is just a top outline.

I will go look at the Compustars on the weekend. Tiger Automotive sells those, and my brother inlaw can get me around 20% off there.

A quick call to Tiger indicated that a 2WSS-AS was ~$850 installed -20% or whatever the discount my BIL can get. It also has the huge 1 mile range. Although the remote on the web page does not look as nice as the Python 881XP, however at about $700 installed, including taxes... it really is movin gto top of the class, even though I'm not fond of the remote.

Tough choice. I suppose in the end, if I'm going to spend +$700, I'm leaning towards the mega range units.... I like the Python 881XP remote the best, but functionality I want the Compustar or the Ultra Start because of the range.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm fairly neutral about remote start, but my wife really wants it on our next vehicle. If we can live with two remotes, does that situation work fairly well?

I'm assuming that to remote start the car, you first disable the immobilizer using the Nissan fob and then click on the command start fob. The car is no longer armed from theft while it's running, but the doors are still locked. That's probably something I could live with for the times we use it (could maybe use a Club as well).

The other question is whether that screws up the insurance discount (assuming the insurance company knows about my command start)?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are talking about having 1 car with 2 remotes (1 for you, 1 for your wife), no problems

I'm not sure how it would integrate with the Nissans factory unit, however a separate transponder unit is required to Auto Start. It either replicates the code, or has a (hidden) key present to allow remote starting.

Once started, the car will run for a predefined time (~15min) before it shuts down. If somebody was to enter the car with out the key, the combo alarm would shut the car down. If they were to get in to the car with it still running, the car would shut down as soon as you stepped on the brake with out the key inserted in the ignition. I suppose if a thief really wante dyou car, they are savvy enough to get it, however it is pretty effective still.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Actually I was talking about 4 remotes (2 for me and 2 for my wife) with no integration into the existing Nissan system. I would use one remote to disable the Nissan system and then click the other remote to start up the car.

Like you said, at that point if someone were to break in, as soon as they touch the brake pedal the engine would die.

In my mind this seems like a reasonable and cheap solution to get the best of both worlds. I can live with 2 remotes if it means saving 1000 bucks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ahh, got it.... I suppose we all have our limits.

The difference is actually $250 for an alarm vs no alarm. For that amount I would rather have the complete 2 way system, with much better security and 2 way comunication should some event be happening.

The cost is in the installation.

For me if I'm going to spend +$400, I just may aswell spend $700, I may as well get what I really want.

We'll see once I get the truck....

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, you're correct, remote starters system can be had for about $250 installed, depending on the unit and the shop.

However chances, that doesn't include the transponder required to bypass the factory security.

Additionally, we are wanting a 6000ft range unit as my wife parks downtown, sometimes 4 blocks away. The extra range is welcomed, but not one of the cheaper units.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like this is the system I'm going with.

Arctic Start RTW900FMAS

Up to 6000 feet of Range
This ground-breaking 900MHz Spread Spectrum 50-Channel frequency changing technology was developed by Firstech after spending thousands of hours perfecting the art of radio signal modulation and applying it to vehicle security and remote starts. This technology resulted in one of the most advanced security technologies available for the automobile. These modulation techniques help eliminate interference and allow for more power to transmit than conventional systems.

(Includes 1 two way remote. 1 one way remote)

Basic Remote Features:
-Two-way paging remote
-Vibration and audible notification
-Run-time indicator
-Turbo Timer
-CompuGlow backlight
-Multi-color LCD (liquid crystal display)
-Shock sensor on/off through remote
-Timer start mode
-Passive mode on/off through remote
-Valet mode on/off through remote
-Uses standard AA 1.5 volt battery

Basic Alarm/Start Features
-Includes dual stage shock sensor
-RPS (remote paging system)
-External Siren (six-tone)
-Super bright blue LED
-2-auxillary outputs
-Dedicated trunk output
-Horn honk output
-Anti-grind and starter-kill relay
-Driver's priority unlock
-Ignition controlled door locks
-Trunk output
-Remote start
-Diesel features built-in
-Manual transmission compatible

$740 Installed, All taxes included as well as an extended warranty on the remotes. Lifetime warranty on the Module and Installation.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
chansen said:
One question: Do you really need a fancy anti-theft device in Saskatchewan?
I suppose you never know... :)

It's not so much for the fancy alarm, rather for the range of the remote starter. Getting an integrated unit was the only elegant solution I could see.

We get a better alarm that will alert of glass breakage, shock damage attempts, plus the system will let us know if it's our car making all the noise, and what the problem may be, rather than have people wonder.. 'Whose car alarm is that that has been going off?' :crazy:

Besides, 2 way communication systems with your Auto is cool :cool:

x-trail-R6, Excellent to hear. Thanks for the feedback :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts