Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Z is starting to show her age(95 @ 104K). The antenna does not retract or extend all the way on very cold days. I live in NY and the weather is not as extreme as most places. Is there something I can do to fix this or do I need a new assembly? thanks in advance

·
Registered
737 Posts
Clean and re-lube it first. Hopefully it is not the motor.

The antenna can be purchased separately and is usually the first thing to go, but that's when it does not go up/down due to the plastic track breaking off from the metal portion of the mast. Maybe you are missing teeth or have a power supply issue?

To remove for cleaning/inspection/disassembly you need to remove the rear interior passenger-side plastic trim pieces as if you were to change a tail light bulb starting with the center panel first. Once removed you will see what to do.

There is also a black rubber coated nut on the exterior that needs to be taken off with care so you can re-use it and not scratch any painted surfaces.

Good Luck, Z

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can I clean and lube without take the assembly apart?
also is there any lubricant in particular i should use.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
You can put a WD-40 lube on the antenna mast but if that doens't work then the teeth of the mast is damage and needs to be replace.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you don't open the housing then you really can't see the extent of the damage, if any, to the teeth or gears. I used white lithium grease when I did mine. Z

1 - 8 of 8 Posts