Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read the sticky about the swap into the 89 90 using the later motor but am confused yet.We have a 1990 240sx now with the SOHC...I have read posts for the last 4 hours trying to find out more on this swap but still have questions....First off on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the easiest how would you rate this swap as far as difficulty?Also what you might expect to spend after having the engine already.

Second I am still unclear which wiring harness to use and from what year car and such,which ECU and distributor to use for sure and if it all needs to be soldered together or what.

What we have so far is a 1995 DOHC motor and these parts that came with it,ECU,MAF and five speed trans.

Third.Do you have to solder all the wires together for the new harness or is it just a matter of running the correct harness and hooking everything up........

Thanks and please just explain in further detail whats all involved here and the difficulty of doing this swap and exactly what year the other donor parts need to come from....If someone wants to PM me their phone number that has done this I would sure like to talk to them on the phone...Thanks

·
I should be azRS13...
1,021 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,still would like an idea on this swap as to what it may cost and what you need and the difficullty of the swap.....Thanks

·
I should be azRS13...
1,021 Posts
Not sure of the prices sorry... but depending on how much experience you have I guess on a scale of 1-10 I would say 4 or 5... Its pretty much plug and play unless you are gonna change some internal stuff... Its always good to replace the chain and water pump while you have it out... PM me your number... I just realized the link I posted didnt work...

·
Registered
117 Posts
i was thinking about doing the same swap in my 90 hb same or what i wood also like to know anything about this topic or a site to visit

thank for any and all heip

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ive had my share of swaps man,so in order from cheapest to most expensive swaps: ka24de,ca18det,rb20det,sr20det (red top),sr20det (black top),1JZ (yes,from a supra), 2JZ,RB25det,RB26dett. As far as difficulty Id give the ka24de swap a 1,its just a matter of getting the wiring down right.Your gonna need the twin cam ecu and distributer

·
Registered
117 Posts
thats alot of info mr. itll help alot but wat bout the tranny for an s-13 dohc can i use the one a have in my truck now and what bout motor mounts? and does the radiator have diff demen?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well,im pretty sure the radiator will be totally different,thats usually the case with swaps.Shouldnt be too hard to find one that would work for you though,hell Im using one from a Galant.Sorry most of my eperience is with sr swaps and rb swaps,id assume the truck tranny wouldnt work,and you probably wouldnt want it anyway if your putting it in a hatch.Id bet you need new engine mounts too,no reason the engine bay in a hatch would be anything near whats in ur hardbody.Course I could be wrong though,suggest you hit up sticky...the more I think about I wish i was wherever you were jus so I could get under both vehicles and help you work it out,I love doing swaps its always a challenge.

·
I should be azRS13...
1,021 Posts
Radiators are the same for KAE, KADE, and CA. The SR has Mirrored upper connection. The engine mounts are also the same for KAe and KADE. As for the Hardbody I am unsure about the mounts

·
Registered
117 Posts
well if there the same for a kae versus a kade than the hardbody should be the same do you know if the 5 speed tranny out of my hardbody will work with the dohc

·
I should be azRS13...
1,021 Posts
Ok... Lets make this simple... KAE Trannys will work on A KADE... The Bellhousings are different but it will bolt up... Some people say they have big problems, some experience slight problems and some people say they work just fine... Usually the problems occur with the CAS with a s14 KADE. But in your case, Im am almost 100% sure that the gear ratios from a Hardbody truck are different from a car that was meant to be a sports car. So if you have no problem with that.... Then go for it... Theres a reason the DE never was in the hardbody...

·
Registered
117 Posts
so one more question do 2wd and 4wd both have the bolt holes? kinda stupid but just want to be 100% b4 i buy this other motor

·
I should be azRS13...
1,021 Posts
I wasnt aware that the KA hardbodies came with 4wd... I am pretty sure only the V6 VG hardbodies came 4x4... If they did come 4wd then you cannot use the same tranny...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts